cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the CV1 get support when CV2 hits off ?

godwisper
Expert Protege
sorry for asking this but am looking forward to buy a consumer headset this month or next. At present I cannot order a rift as my country even if in EU is not yet supported so might grab one from ebay end month but I have this dilemma.

I bought a DK2 blindly around 2 months ago and have enjoyed my first step into VR. I did not do any research before buying the DK2 and was stranded with an notebook (alienware 15R2). When I bought I could not get any vision and soon was told on my first post here that notebooks are not supported. I hooked again everything the following day and voila it worked on my GTX970m. Still I was told no support to notebooks even though I posted screenshots that it was working fine. With the release of the CV1 I bought the alienware amplifier and fitted an EVGA GTX970 overclocked. I get the message on Oculus home that DK2 is not supported and that support will end by end 2016. I know now that the DK2 was meant for developers but I got mine from ebay at a hefty price same thing is happening with the FREE CV1 given to the kickstarters backers that are selling them for a hefty price on ebay. I am inclined to Oculus and nowadays have both GEAR VR with S7 edge and the DK2 and really want the CV1 but my question is:

Will the CV1 have the same death penalty like DK1/DK2 when CV2 is released ? How long will the support to CV1 remain ?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Trytiped
Adventurer
This is a great question one I've been wandering about myself for a while now, truth be told no one knows at this moment. My guess is they will continue to support it a year or so after or may continue to support it regardless cause after all they make the majority of their profit from game sells. It would be also difficult knowing the cv2 will very likely be more expensive to convince everyone to switch over.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
To be honest, i don't even have the CV1 yet... i don't give a damn about cv2 right now  😄

Hargert
Explorer
I doubt it will be an issue and will be supported. There is a huge difference between a dev version and a consumer product. I would expect at least 3 years of support. Like all tech at some point, it will stop being supported.

Crumpets
Honored Guest
Is a very good question.  I would think that a CV2 may be quite a long ways off as it would need to be quite a bit better for people to buy it.  Question is, will we have graphics cards that could support it, and if so, wouldn't the cost be more than it is now for people to upgrade or buy a new system?  If I get 2-3 years of full support form my CV1, (when it comes) Ill be delighted. 

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege
Unless CV2 or some other device is a breakout that sells amazingly better, for quite some time anyone heavily developing VR is going to want to be able to attract owners of as many headset types as possible.

Given we know absolutely nothing about when CV2 hits or how it will be different it's hard to be sure of anything, but I'd think it would be pretty similar to the situation with any type of PC gaming--a new generation of graphics cards releasing doesn't mean you're going to stop getting games that work on the current card.

Allowing games to work with varying resolutions, framerates, even fields of view between headsets will probably be common. The real trouble as far as certain games needing to be exclusive to later models would be if there were some significant change in basic function--like a camera for AR purposes, more advanced motion tracking, things like that. Basically, the kind of situation we see now with DK2 and CV1.

ennogs
Expert Protege

Kalec84 said:

To be honest, i don't even have the CV1 yet... i don't give a damn about cv2 right now  😄

This.  CV1 is delayed and you are talking about CV2 op?

greeneblitz
Expert Protege
 I wouldn't worry about CV2 coming too soon, it'll be a few years away.

godwisper
Expert Protege
yeah talking about cv2.....

This time before buying I try to do my homework well. I don`t want to buy something which will become obsolete in a year or two. Technology is moving too fast. I would prefer something which can be upgraded in the long run than having something which with something new you need to replace.

Now I am doing my research and end of the month will finalize my consumer headset.