cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there ever be a wireless solution for the Rift S?

M1ghty_boy
Honored Guest
With how easy it is to permanently kink the cable (personal experience 😞 ) and how annoying the cable is due to it hanging down my shoulder rather than being centred, the vive/vive pro wireless solution is almost identical to using it wired. Oculus could make money from this, there are people who would buy this and I have seen multiple threads asking if/when this would ever be a thing.
9 REPLIES 9

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Welcome to the forum. An interesting question.

You may not be aware that most of the wireless VR headset systems have been created by third-party developers (TPCast and the Intel/HTC system to name two). A major part of the development process to create them needs direct firmware support (access to internal code and firmware of the headset). While HTC, Pimax, HP and even Valve have allowed access to this - it is slightly harder for developers to get the same level of access from Facebook/OculusVR, though there have been successes, and TPCast after a laborious process did manage, though it was a short lived project. 

This is even more complicated regarding the Rift-S as a lot of the support and latest firmware is retained by the manufacturers, which in this case is Lenovo. Many people forgetting that the Rift-S is a contracted platform.  And due to various issues, access to this for third-parties may be much more difficult. Firstly as Lenovo actually contemplated making a wireless adapter kit initially (though abandoned), and also that there is ongoing discussions towards future support by Lenovo; I think this would have to be resolved before they even contemplate helping competing developers. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

wuzp
Rising Star

Oculus could make money from this...

Oculus is owned by Facebook.  And (all together now...) how does Facefook really make money?

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
There is still too much jank for wireless streaming. I never really ever thought wireless streaming was going to be a solution for VR and still don't. Even if the bandwidth was almost perfectly solved for one resolution and frame rate the next gen headsets will look too up that and you will be right back to square one with wireless streaming.

Anonymous
Not applicable

zork2001 said:

There is still too much jank for wireless streaming. I never really ever thought wireless streaming was going to be a solution for VR and still don't. Even if the bandwidth was almost perfectly solved for one resolution and frame rate the next gen headsets will look too up that and you will be right back to square one with wireless streaming.

Agreed.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I have a Vive Pro with wireless adapter and while it works pretty well it does require a spare pcie slot so this means laptops cannot use it.  It also is very cpu demanding and because of this I don’t use it for any of my flight/racing sims.

I recently bought a Quest and I’m pretty impressed with its wireless with Virtual Desktop.  Quite a bit more lag than my Vive wireless (30-40ms vs 2ms) but still very playable for me with most pcvr games (not all are compatible btw).

It will be interesting to see how wireless PCVR evolves.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thmoas
Rising Star
I only play wireless now using Quest 2. It works great. Btw I can already see misinformation for example 2ms with Vive pro wireless vs 30-40ms on Quest. It's so incredibly wrong that I'm sick of going into this misinformation. It seems like almost nobody cares to study up and read stuff and educate themselves before spewing information that others who don't care to educate then take over etc ... The amount of wrong information on the net in all possible fields is staggering.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Thmoas said:

I only play wireless now using Quest 2. It works great. Btw I can already see misinformation for example 2ms with Vive pro wireless vs 30-40ms on Quest. It's so incredibly wrong that I'm sick of going into this misinformation. It seems like almost nobody cares to study up and read stuff and educate themselves before spewing information that others who don't care to educate then take over etc ... The amount of wrong information on the net in all possible fields is staggering.

I have both wireless Quest w/Virtual Desktop and Vive wireless adapter with my Vive Pro and I can tell you for sure that there is a big difference.  Comparing the two, quite different technologies, is like comparing Google cardboard VR with your Quest 2 imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ohgrant
Superstar
 I have both but the Vive wireless is now uninstalled. Not that it wasn't any good but has been replaced with my Quest2 and I don't use my Vive anymore. 
 Latency was never an issue, only two small issues I had with the Vive wireless was random artifacts that would pop up, kind of looked like a magnifying glass in a small section. Also the FOV was slightly reduced 
 With Quest 2 and Virtual desktop I get 18-22 ms latency but my experience with Quest 2 wireless experience by far is much better than with my Vive wireless. 

The lol was for the analogy Tom. If I had the pro I'd probably still be using the wireless too

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@ohgrant  My only complaint with my Vive Wireless adapter is that it's a little hard on my cpu.  So, for most flight/racing sims I find that I still get better performance with my Vive Pro wired.  Same goes for my wired Rift cv1 vs Quest 1 wireless w/VD btw.

I'm pretty well only using my Q1 wireless w/VD now and I gotta say it works very well for most Oculus and Steam store apps.  Plus it's way more convenient to use and easier on batteries than my Vive wireless adapter (2hrs runtime max w/10000mahr battery).  For most apps the extra latency and slightly poorer tracking is not an issue for me.  I still find it amazing that wireless w/VD with my Q1still generally gives me better results than Link w/v23.