cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this laptop (link) work with Oculus Rift???

Cameraguy320
Protege
9 REPLIES 9

sford52
Heroic Explorer
A bit down the page is the warning: This model of the Alienware does not meet the recommended hardware requirements and testing (maintaining 90FPS) for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

I would be very cautious. Even with a 1060 upgrade
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

Cameraguy320
Protege
What is the cheapest Dell laptop I can purchased to work with Rift?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Look at Alienware 15 R3 mate
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Cameraguy320
Protege

ShocksVR
Superstar
If you're going to use a laptop, then I would get the Rift-S (which is supposed to work with laptops that meet the minimum spec requirements).

The original Rift can be hit or miss with laptops; the original Rift does not work with most laptops even if they state "VR Capable".
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Cameraguy320
Protege
Will the Rift S work with all my Rift games?

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
At those prices, you can do a whole hell of a lot better. I picked up an Eluktronics Mech-17 about a month ago with an RTX 2070 (not the crappy Max-Q version), 16GB dual channel RAM and a 500GB NVME for $1800. It's an oddball brand, but I've been very happy with it so far and can verify it runs the Rift fine. Linky: https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-17

They have a 15" version too and significantly cheaper options with the RTX 2060 or older GTX 1060 6GB. I recommend avoiding laptops with Max-Q graphics, they are heavily cut down or limited versions of the desktop cards and are generally not suitable for gaming. The "full" version my laptop has is still power limited compared to desktop, but not nearly to the extent the Max-Q stuff is.

Anonymous
Not applicable