cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you ever buy a ZeniMax product again?

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I'm going to stop purchasing ZeniMax products for the time being and re-invest the money into Oculus Home and hardware. Call me what you want -  Not trying to come off as immature, just an adult prioritizing where my dollars go, and whom I support.

What do you think - has Zenimax burned a bridge in their lethal assault against Oculus and the VR industry OR are they in the right and justified in their case?
79 REPLIES 79

falken76
Expert Consultant
JC would be the only valuable asset they had and he's here.  F Zenimax, I doubt they'd ever make anything good anyway, what HAVE they actually made?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Isnt the first and last option the same? 

I have never been the rallying Call to Arms type. I am more of a, beat your ass right here and now, and then move on to bigger and better things.

Although in this case I suppose I can attempt my first boycott of sorts. Let's see how that goes. I would choose so based on my own experiences as a software engineer, and having dealt with intellectual property and NDA issues in the past.

I think ZeniMax represents a way of thinking that needs to change, and by change I mean become extinct. It hampers growth and innovation.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I really don't like ZeniMax as a parent company, but they own the studios that make many of my favourite game franchises. Fallout, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Prey, Elder Scrolls... I'm not going to boycott the dev studios for the unfortunate choices of the lawyers and accountants.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

HiThere_
Superstar
Well it's more like I'm interested in VR products, and I can't name a single piece of VR related software or hardware Zenimax has for sale.

So I wouldn't call it a boycott when they have nothing to sell me to begin with.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
I've got to say, "Who's zenimax?"  That's far enough up the chain you've got to do some research on each game to find out if they're involved.  I'm not going to do that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If they start adding quality VR content then that would mean they are investing money from the Trial into the virtual reality ecosystem. That would be a good thing.

But since they didn't believe in virtual reality to begin with (hence Carmack's actions), I can't see that happening anytime soon.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
They are planning on releasing Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VR this year (on Steam for Vive, but should probably work in Rift too).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Greyman
Superstar
If i were to boycott every business that had behaved in a less than scrupulous manner, i would certainly save money.  

There are limits of course, but relatively speaking, this was one very rich company bashing heads with another very rich company and i don't see how that should affect my future buying decisions, even if i don't ever recall previously buying anything from Zenimax.

However, if a company had let's say refused to set on workers from a list of countries, perhaps all with a similar prevalent religion, then that would certainly cross the line.  🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

They are planning on releasing Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VR this year (on Steam for Vive, but should probably work in Rift too).

Unless they go like Google did with Earth and intentionally block rift use from SteamVR.
I really wouldn't put it past them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2