cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 Spring Up date Resets Everything (Again!)

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Had the update yesterday morning. Now everything is reset in Windows yet again - inlcuding all my settings, my desktop pictures and preferences, all my default progs are reset, so it asks me every time I want to open anything, as well as shoving more apps I don't want in my face yet again - like the last big update.

Also, Home thinks that I have only just connected my Rift and wants me to set it up. Fly Inside's activations are gone and despite all this, they obviously haven't sorted Defender, as it's still trying to delete my downloaded (from online stores) installers. Especially those from Just Flight.

Oh - you also have to go through all the options again - what they can have, what they (supposedly) can't etc etc. What makes me laugh (well makes me want to puke, really, but....) is that they're dead keen to track me, so they can help me find my desktop PC in case it falls through a hole in my pocket and I can't find it! Isn't that nice?

I really wish I could just ditch my PC but as a mostly homebound invalid, I'd go even more nuts without it than I do with it!

If you've not updated, prepare yourself. But then, did we really expect anything else?

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only issue I had so far , which I guess was not really an issue, was it reset all my usb's to "turn off to save power" mode. I just went through them all and turned that off on all of them again.

I received the update a couple of days ago, and has been pretty smooth sailing on my end.

I did have to uninstall and re-install the Oculus Tray Tool, after the Window update the audio switcher was not working properly, but an uninstall then a clean install of OTT solved that.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

dburne said:

I did have to uninstall and re-install the Oculus Tray Tool, after the Window update the audio switcher was not working properly, but an uninstall then a clean install of OTT solved that.

Yeah, that, too.

RattyUK
Trustee
About the only issue I had with the 'upgrade' is that audio CD's are no longer recognised, ejected and a browser link appears to suggest suitable discs... Obviously Microsoft in their great wisdom have 'retired' audio CD's in favour of 'dangerous' MP3's or WAV files >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Do you guys install/activate windows via the code or with a Microsoft account? (I do the latter)

Digikid1
Consultant
This is why a clean reinstall is always better. Yes it’s a pain in the arse but it’s the best way to avoid issues like this. My cds work fine using VLC ( which is the BEST and ONLY player that everyone should have ) and I’ve had no issues on my test pc at my store. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RattyUK said:

About the only issue I had with the 'upgrade' is that audio CD's are no longer recognised, ejected and a browser link appears to suggest suitable discs... Obviously Microsoft in their great wisdom have 'retired' audio CD's in favour of 'dangerous' MP3's or WAV files >:)

I just tried (put in my copy of Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Play the Blues) - and it popped up in Windows Media Player no problem.

I can't imagine support for CDs being dropped - they are main source of my MP3 collection, lol

kojack
MVP
MVP
Media Player Classic for videos and Winamp for audio is how I roll.

I'm just about to start a fresh install of win 10 on my desktop (on a new hard drive, moving from a 1TB 850EVO SSD to a 1TB 960EVO M.2).
I've been using win10 on this system since the release candidate days, just doing updates (which sometimes failed due to being RC originally). I've also swapped the hardware, changing from an intel 3930K hex core with asus motherboard (which hated the rift on usb) to an amd threadripper with asrock motherboard, but just ran the same hard drives with win10, so I'm sure there's issues with outdated drivers and crap. It's now taking several minutes to boot, which is longer than it should be. Way too much "Old Windows Disease" build up.

If you don't see me here for a while... I'll be in OS install limbo.
Edit: So far so good. I'm bad up with a fresh win 10 install. But it's so empty! Now to install visual studio 2015 and visual studio 2017 and photoshop and office and... urgh, this will take a while.
It seems cortana used my rift as a microphone to listen to me during install. I have no other mic connected, but she responded to my voice.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Digikid1
Consultant
 Actually I just found my first bug.  My test PC is an Intel i5 7600k. It says that’s a i7 4770k. 

😮 
lkvy9s9x0plz.jpg

RattyUK
Trustee

kojack said:

Media Player Classic for videos and Winamp for audio is how I roll.

My favourite also (MPC).  For CD Ripping I use Fairstars - it is with this open (waiting for a CD) that most of the errors with audio CD's were happening.  Very odd!  (I'd just had 2 audio books delivered and was ripping them for the car -  no CD in this modern monster, USB instead)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3