cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Word of caution for international users and other...

Andrewe1
Level 3
Hello,

First of all, I'm currently living in Mexico. Normally when ordering from US-based stores, I NEVER choose the option to ship internationally because from experience, I have received opened stuff, broken stuff, and paid stupidly high import fees.

For this reason I normally ship to my home in Texas and whenever I visit I just bring with me whatever I order. This time was no exception..... However, upon entering the border I was selected for random inspection, and when they opened my bag and saw the bad-ass but somewhat unnecessary Oculus case they freaked out and must have thought it was some sort of weapon. I proceeded to tell them, and TRY to explain to them what it was... I had to describe it as TV goggles. They told me to get out of my car and to wait in another room, they called some military soldiers that were nearby, then proceeded to carefully take the case and they took it to another room. They came back and they told me they X-rayed it and that it appeared to be OK... I was really pissed off as I was fearing they would take the stuff out and not handle it carefully. Thankfully everything appeared ok.

So I'm just sharing my experience for those of you that may be in other countries with "problematic" borders. I don't see countries like Canada/UK etc. having any problems though. I can't imagine what would have happened had I ordered it directly to Mexico. I think having a friendlier cardboard box would help a lot....something with colorful graphics that may describe it and have a couple of pictures or something...just a suggestion.

On the other hand it works great, its awesome, my whole family is nauseous, and this was their general reaction upon first trying them. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ :shock: :lol: ๐Ÿ˜ฎ :? ๐Ÿ˜ž .

For some reason it made almost everyone dizzy... I was OK even after playing for over an hour, but most people couldn't stand more than 5 mins.

Also, if anyone is gonna publicly demo this thing..... bring some deseinfectant wipes, seriously... the first time I tried it I could feel my eyeballs up against the lenses.. It will just take a single person with pink eye to screw everyone else up.

Also, pixels are way more noticeable than I expected and can't wait for a higher version....wheres the new kickstarter? :lol:

Cheers
11 REPLIES 11

Blueshock
Level 2
"AntonieB" wrote:
I don't think 'international users' should be afraid. It looks like not that much / if any dev kits are on their way to international developers.

Must stay positive and patient.. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Baconriffic
Level 2
For those fellow Canadians out there. Be prepared for a COD charge for duties. 50 for the brokerage charges and 50 for the actual taxes. Not too bad for a dev kit, but just be ready for them to ask for payment on pickup.