cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Out in VR - Tips and Suggestions?

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone else out there uses their Rift for cardio workouts, or anything that makes you sweat really. I myself play "Holodance" using osu! beatmaps, and it's the most fun I've ever had while sweating.

Problem of course is, the Rift isn't really designed to take the rain of sweat that I pour down upon it 😕 (or is it?)

Any tips, suggestions, headband-sweat-catching-esqe setups that anyone has to prolong the life of my Rift? Also, general comments about working out in VR are also appreciated 🙂
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
17 REPLIES 17

If you have the room and the right set up, just playing games can be a great workout - Dead and Buried and Ripcoil are 2 good ones.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yup, that's what I use. Officially over 80% disabled and VR is a godsend for relatvely gentle upper body execise.

When I got my first Touch controllers, I actually ended up in so much pain in my legs from all the crouching I tried to do in Dead & Buried that I couldn't sleep, even with a large dose of liquid morphine, so caution is advised!
That's why I only use it for seated, upper body exercise now.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

The 2 vs 2 game in D&B is an amazing workout - the first time i played i was just a sweaty (and very happy) mess.

Ripcoil is great for lunges   🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've read that more than a few Vives have been broken due to sweating, but none so far about sweating killing Rifts. Very odd. Must be something to do with the face plate designs I guess..?

snowdog said:

I've read that more than a few Vives have been broken due to sweating, but none so far about sweating killing Rifts. Very odd. Must be something to do with the face plate designs I guess..?

I had a friend who swore by the Vive but when he first used the Touch controllers with my Rift he sweat so much he was left a broken man.

FlakMagnet
Adventurer
I bought a VRCover for my Rift that included a cloth cover for the facial interface. It can be removed and washed separately, and seens to soak up at least some of the sweat (more than the included Rift facial interface for sure!). Being able to take this cloth off and wash it is a great bonus!

I work out to AudioShield which is another good music-related game. Dancing around in that for a while certainly gives me a good workout 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I should also post that exercise is BAD for you. Just think about the amount of sports injuries there are around the world, how many joggers get run over, how many joggers have heart attacks, how many swimmers get munched on by sharks. Hell, a few years in a gym in London someone fell to their death down a lift shaft when they weren't paying attention (because imo exercise also kills brain cells!) and entered the 'lift' when the doors opened and the lift wasn't there.

Yours faithfully,
Doctor snowdog.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Good job there are no cars, sharks or lifts in my hobby room, then!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just heart attacks lol