cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zeiss Cinemizer OLED Head-Mounted Display: An Eyes-on Review

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The Zeiss Cinemizer display is by far the most comfortable head-mounted display I’ve [author] ever worn. The glasses weigh only 4.2 ounces, and place less than 3 ounces of weight on the bridge of your nose, which makes them comfortable for long viewing sessions. Inside the Cinemizer’s white goggles, it packs a pair of 870 x 500 resolution OLED displays. These tiny 8mm x 5mm displays provide an insane pixel density of 2500 ppi, and extremely rich colors.

http://technabob.com/blog/2013/07/29/zeiss-cinemizer-oled-head-mounted-display-review/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
10 REPLIES 10

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've tried it, it's not a bad product. Might be cool for watching 3D movies.

However, it's not really in the same league as the Rift in terms of FOV or immersion.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Rambowjo
Honored Guest
While watching content, the displays simulate a 40-inch widescreen display, viewed at about 6.5 feet away from your eyes

:lol:

zeiss pls go

photographer
Honored Guest
I think the small screens for each eye, which increases ppi to insane levels is the only way for a hmd to offer clear and sharp images without showing pixel grid. this is the approach that Sony has taken as well with its hmd.

OR will always be limited with the 7" screen, even if it goes 4k or 8k.

Rambowjo
Honored Guest
"photographer" wrote:
I think the small screens for each eye, which increases ppi to insane levels is the only way for a hmd to offer clear and sharp images without showing pixel grid. this is the approach that Sony has taken as well with its hmd.

But that's wrong? We already have technology that completely eliminates the screendoor effect. At 1920x1080, you have to strain, in order to observe single pixels. We wouldn't even have to go to 4K, before pixels become impossible to tell apart.

Frito
Explorer
Why the reviewer insists on comparing it with the rift?

also 1000$ with ht :lol:
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

Kirito
Honored Guest
guys what is the max Fov a HMD like zeiss can achive ?

photographer
Honored Guest
"Rambowjo" wrote:
"photographer" wrote:

But that's wrong? We already have technology that completely eliminates the screendoor effect. At 1920x1080, you have to strain, in order to observe single pixels. We wouldn't even have to go to 4K, before pixels become impossible to tell apart.

Electronic viewfinders have become very common and the latest one from olympus http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/accessories/optical_adapter/vf4/ has 2.36 million dot pixels. both the sony and Zeiss HMD use similar small oled screens with a lens that magnifies the screen.

a 7" screen is never going to match the pixel density of a small screen, it will always have some screen door effect and while it can be ignored in gaming, it takes away from immersion.

Hi-res small screens, such as the one in Olympus VF-4 are the best option for HMDs, but they're expensive, although with lagging camera sales, don't be surprised that camera makers move in HMD business. they have the OLED technology as well as the optics.

Mike_W_Rodgers
Honored Guest
Couple of days early but after reading about these goggles the answer to the facebook question is 2500 PPi. I'm very interested in these goggles but i'm worried they may not be good for me because I only have one eye. I lost vision in my left eye a few years ago so will they actually work in my case? If they will be ok for someone like myself I will definitely be returning in the 5th to repost my answer. 😉 Thank you

kojack
MVP
MVP
PPI isn't really a useful measure for VR, PPD is better (pixels per degree).

The Zeiss cinemizer is low res (870x500 per eye, compared to 1080x1200 per eye on the oculus cv1) and narrow fov, doesn't really sound that great.

With only one eye, you won't be able to tell depth. But it should still be usable. You may be used to using accommodation (focusing) in real life to tell distance, in VR that doesn't work and only stereo images give depth.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2