cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about andrew houses comment today on vr competition

sefus2055
Protege
I saw Andrew houses comment today about psvr needs more competition today. Well doesn't he know that there's lots of competition against psvr on it's way, first there's microsofts inside out tracking, meaning I guess you don't have to setup the cameras, or censors, I think one of them at least has 3k screens, well there's some competition, and I think you just plug in and play, and they all have sony's halo strap design, and then there's the standalones from oculus and htc, and google where you don't need a pc, console, or phone and if done right could help drive vr, and last the lg headset which also has a camera, so I think sony is asking for more competition than it can ask for. I wonder if the oculus rift 2 will use the psvr design, cause people seem to like those better than the ski mask design, I think that oculus and htc should have game consoles that can run vr headsets for people who can't afford gaming pcs.
5 REPLIES 5

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

Your right PSVR doesn't have a lot of competition.

Pretty much every big player Vive and Rift are leaps ahead of it in how they function.

It really does need some sub par systems to arrive so it has something to compete against. 

WAAAGH!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It is clear that Microsoft made a point of leaving Sony to their console VR plans, and avoided entering the console VR game at this point. Even with their Windows MR initiative (and suit of supporting headsets), they made a point of not talking about compatibility with XBone or XBoneX.

I think the Sony VR community will have to face the hash fact that Sony is feeling the PSVR has become a dead end, with momentum being lost. Even with their second place position of successful headset installed base, this is still not enough to ignite a market.

If Sony did abandon (or back-out) of supporting PSVR - what impact would this have on the rest of the consumer VR sector? 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

falken76
Expert Consultant
Translation:  We are going to reduce resources devoted to PSVR development due to poor sales.  We'll ramp it back up if competitors actually start to surface.  (PS Our competitors are CONSOLES not Mobile or PC).

They have no competition, which is required to drive innovation. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I am pretty pissed at ms to be honest. They made a big song and dance about Xbox Scorpio being a 4k vr console.. now they are ignoring it on console (bummer because play anywhere titles less likely to have pc vr if no console vr)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

It is clear that Microsoft made a point of leaving Sony to their console VR plans, and avoided entering the console VR game at this point. Even with their Windows MR initiative (and suit of supporting headsets), they made a point of not talking about compatibility with XBone or XBoneX.

I think the Sony VR community will have to face the hash fact that Sony is feeling the PSVR has become a dead end, with momentum being lost. Even with their second place position of successful headset installed base, this is still not enough to ignite a market.

If Sony did abandon (or back-out) of supporting PSVR - what impact would this have on the rest of the consumer VR sector? 

It would have absolutely no impact on the rest of the consumer VR sector. Even people that own PS4s and bought the thing knew (if they knew ANYTHING about Sony's history) that there was a VERY good chance of Sony dropping support for it.

As far as consumer VR is concerned it won't have any impact at all imo. We're still at the enthusiast gamer's stage of VR adoption so it shouldn't affect those sort of people from buying in or not. Sony and Microsoft shitting the bed with regards to tracking is more of a concern because their cheap and nasty headsets are priced with the mainstream gamer in mind (which is the second stage of VR adoption for the mainstream consumer). They've basically released their headsets too early (sound familiar..?).

I wouldn't worry too much about consumer VR because it's a VERY long road and now that the vehicle has started moving it won't stop due to it being fuelled by Facebook. If AAA developers are a bit too wary to jump in Zuckerberg can always throw another $500m at large indie developers such as Epic, Crytek, 4A Games etc etc to bring that AAA quality content to the VR ecosystem.