cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can Anchor cables be connected to make a longer cable to use with Quest

Lunatic_Fringe
Honored Guest
Oculus is recommending the Anchor cable for use with the Quest until the link cable is released. The cable is only 6 feet. Has anyone tried to connect them to make a longer cable..Does it work?
8 REPLIES 8

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Oculus is recommending the Anchor cable for use with the Quest until the link cable is released. The cable is only 6 feet. Has anyone tried to connect them to make a longer cable..Does it work?

The Anchor cable that Oculus has linked to is 3m (10 ft), not 2m (6 ft).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP
3m/10' is about the limit for a passive cable. You need active cables to go longer than that; I used my 5m/16' active extension cable from my CV1 sensor along with a 1m/3' A to C Anker cable, and that worked fine.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

3m/10' is about the limit for a passive cable. You need active cables to go longer than that; I used my 5m/16' active extension cable from my CV1 sensor along with a 1m/3' A to C Anker cable, and that worked fine.

The active usb extension cable that came with my extra cv1 sensor is usb 2.0, not 3.0.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

nalex66 said:

The active usb extension cable that came with my extra cv1 sensor is usb 2.0, not 3.0.

No, the USB 3.0 active extension cable that I bought to use with my sensors. The cable that comes with the extra sensor is passive, as well as USB 2.0.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

nalex66 said:

No, the USB 3.0 active extension cable that I bought to use with my sensors. The cable that comes with the extra sensor is passive, as well as USB 2.0.

No, I just double checked the one that I bought from the Oculus Store with an extra sensor.  It is Active usb 2.0.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

I'm not so sure on the 3M limit...the Rift-S uses a 5M cable, and the Rift CV1 is 4M, and both are passive. I think 5M is about as far as you can take it though.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

No, I just double checked the one that I bought from the Oculus Store with an extra sensor.  It is Active usb 2.0.

Okay, you could be right about it being active. I never took that cable out of the package, because I intended to use all USB 3 for my sensors. I assumed passive because USB 2 can be quite long without needing active signal boosting, compared to USB 3. 

Spuzzum said:

I'm not so sure on the 3M limit...the Rift-S uses a 5M cable, and the Rift CV1 is 4M, and both are passive. I think 5M is about as far as you can take it though.

I’m pretty sure the CV1 cable has a chip to boost the signal in the “special connector” end  I extend my CV1 with an extra 2m of passive cable, which would be a pretty long passive cable length. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said: 

Spuzzum said:

I’m pretty sure the CV1 cable has a chip to boost the signal in the “special connector” end  I extend my CV1 with an extra 2m of passive cable, which would be a pretty long passive cable length. 

Cool...wasn't sure. I always thought the CV1, Rift-S and Vives were all passive.