cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dev's speak up or be damned

Cgpnz
Level 2
If your development plans have been dashed because of the pre-alpha nature of the 0.4.X
sdk and runtime OVR deliverable...

you need to voice your frustrations or it will continue for a long while.

I myself are somewhat insulated with my HD alternative HMD and the 0.3.X sdk and
my efforts in the xml content creation via a perl sdk on a mac OSX.

So what will grizzling do? Perhaps OVR need help. I know the managers boast about
getting the world's best employees, and I would not ask this if this fixed the problems
OVR are experiencing. But I have issues with the age of their employees and thus their
knowledge of basic windows OS api tricks that guys in this forum would have after 20 years
experience in such environments.

But I believe that OVR could move forward if they open sourced the runtime, and see if the
community can come up with answers. I wonder if the 2 billion dollar purchase has done any good,
other than butt-protection behaviour.
24 REPLIES 24

ThreeEyes
Level 2
Yeah, I'm sure the Oculus folks are sitting around all day watching Oprah and eating bon-bons.

Good on you for calling them out on their lethargic and shiftless work practices! Forget ten hour days! We want them working 24!

And I am envious of your insight and ability to divine how much the Oculus folks know - and don't know! I agree! They must all be wet behind the ears children with virtually zero Windows experience! What were Palmer, Nate, and Brendan thinking when they hired them?

I hope Palmer realizes your brilliance and soon! Oculus is obviously flailing and about to capsize! We are thankful for your watchful eyes and helpful suggestions!

As somewhat of a dev, I am hereby speaking up! I want my voice to be heard too!
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Darcanis
Level 3
I was gonna say something sarcastic here, but I don't think I could beat what ThreeEyes said. lol

So instead on a serious note it takes time to develop any software/hardware and there will be bumps in the road. Open-sourcing the software/driver side might work well, but since they are also competing in the market it could also be shooting themselves in the foot. They already open-sourced the DK1 for others to work off of. If they open-sourced the DK2 they could end up being beat to the market by a competitor who simply re-branded their work and sold it now with a crystal cove type screen.

Personally I'm impressed at the rate they are pushing out updates to the SDK as many companies can take 10x as long to do worthwhile improvements. As for the community doing a better job than them... maybe a very small few people out there could, but the vast majority would probably be lost completely looking at the code.

Financially very few companies will invest $2 billion and then open-source the products inner-workings before even releasing a full product. How long do you think it would take the Chinese to pop out a fully working Crystal Cove prototype with the DK2 run-times open sourced? Plus it's not like the community hasn't found bugs and figured out possible improvements already even without access to the code. This input has in many cases been used to improve things.
Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Facebook buying the Oculus Rift! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

pittsburghjoe
Level 4
What gets me ..is that they aren't trying to narrow issues down with us. They only have so many machines to test on there at the office. They wouldn't even have to tell us what they were testing ..we just want to be involved.
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

Cgpnz
Level 2
the usual kiss-assers aside, I am simply calling for OVR to extend out to their community.
Looks like some of us here don't think much of our community. The assumption that the community cannot
help and that OVR people are indeed know alls is just silly. There is already well demonstrated mistakes
made by the OVR developers.

Its up to you developers out there. Demand to be put in the loop, offer up your hard years long experience
with the hack we know as windows OS api.

Why is the idea of open sourcing suddenly dangerous to OVR? Open sourcing will save them at this moment.

Cgpnz
Level 2
"pittsburghjoe" wrote:
What gets me ..is that they aren't trying to narrow issues down with us. They only have so many machines to test on there at the office. They wouldn't even have to tell us what they were testing ..we just want to be involved.

No I don't want this. The problem is pre-alpha, they don't have a workable solution yet. We need to see what the runtime does and those who know can critic, and maybe even suggest with evidence scraping certain ways of doing things.
We just don't know.

Cgpnz
Level 2
"Darcanis" wrote:
As for the community doing a better job than them... maybe a very small few people out there could,

and those that could is all that is needed. This is the power of open source with world wide communities.
Do you realise that the optimal project size for IT is two? That's why guy's like Carmack go and lock themselves in a room to get stuff done.

pittsburghjoe
Level 4
Cgpnz, I've been down that road. And Palmer himself sh!t on me http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2g1h0a/feeling_a_little_disappointed_in_oculus_sdk/ckeqkm3?c...
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

jherico
Level 5
"pittsburghjoe" wrote:
Cgpnz, I've been down that road. And Palmer himself sh!t on me http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2g1h0a/feeling_a_little_disappointed_in_oculus_sdk/ckeqkm3?c...

Past tense would be sh@t.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

Cgpnz
Level 2
So start grizzling, nagging, moaning. Make your voices heard. Its your time and money that is
at risk with this pre-alpha fragile runtime.

The windows OS and any occasional application that you put on your machine has the potential to muck up the workings of the runtime giggery-pockery.