cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forbes doesn't like the Rift

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck ... 07285511d3

I find this review to be... uniquely unusual. I have never seen a review that equates the Vive with PSVR, or one that portrays Oculus as a sort of underdog playing catchup.

The only real substance I was able to extract from the review is that he really likes VR inputs (wands) and he judges the Rift harshly for not having a bundled Touch.

This "review" is entirely nontechnical and very pontificating in its bias.
57 REPLIES 57

R_5_D_4
Explorer
I read this very soon after preordering my CV1 and for a moment there wondered if I'd made a mistake.

AT the end of the day though I bought a rift because I can see they have a passion for getting it right and they are a company born of love rather than money, originally at least. Also they have john carmack for whom I have huge respect. I have faith in these guys.

Anyway the HTC is currently un-orderable and unpriced. The rift at $599 was a push for me, and I cant see the vive being any cheaper. Yes the Playstaion has big support but that doesn't mean the tech will be as good. Anyway I would have to buy a PS1 which is $400 before I've stated. I already have a PC.

The thing about wandering about a room is an interesting point, but lets face it most people have limited space, so at some point, pretty quickly, you have to stop wandering about. That just leaves what? - ducking basically. Is that really so great?

I'm sticking with the Rift. :ugeek:

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"R_5_D_4" wrote:
Also they have john carmack for whom I have huge respect.

quoted for truth

StreetPreacher
Adventurer
This is great, I'm happy I wasn't the only one who laughed out loud while reading this sorry excuse for 'journalism'. Even as a pure editorial opinion piece the article is horribly uninformed, and seems almost intentionally misleading...

And isn't the bottom line here that BOTH the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL in terms of hardware specifications of the headset and capabilities of the tracking systems?

As far as I can ascertain, the only things that are going to differentiate the 2 systems will be minor details in display quality, and aesthetics/comfort of the headsets.

Unless of course the developers insist on releasing exclusive games, which I believe is a HUGE mistake when trying to nurture a whole new realm of gaming...

I understand that these 'journalists' need to produce content to make a living, but it would be nice if their opinions pieces were at least based on facts rather than ridiculous unfounded assumptions such as "hard to believe Oculus' controllers will be as precise..."

I guess articles stating "Both systems are virtually indistinguishable while you're in the game world. Just buy whichever unit fits on your head better." wouldn't get as many clicks or be long enough.

And if you enjoy Forbes articles on new technology, you should read some of their Video Game reviews :roll:

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
From a journalist point of view:
Vive is positioning themselves as a high-end room-scale with vr inputs, e.g. "the holodeck experience".
Oculus is positioning themselves in the chair, not putting out the Touch with the CV1 at launch.

Of course a journalist that is superficially looking at this will make assumptions on which one is better.

IMO delaying the Touch is a big mistake.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
Forbes hasn't been relevant in many, many years.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"EarlGrey" wrote:
IMO delaying the Touch is a big mistake.

We shall see.

My perspective is the opposite. They didn't decide to delay the Touch. Rather they decided to not delay the Rift.

In terms of competition it's a delicate balance. Oculus will be first with their HMD and HTC might be first with their VR inputs (shipping date still not confirmed).

VR tech is going to evolve extremely fast so it will always be a delicate game of competition.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
Another forbes VR article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/propointgra ... 7e1b34e415

This one is only about the Rift, but it is similarly devoid of information. It can be summarized by saying he likes the Rift for no real reason other than he had a good experience.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Roomscale is a cute addition, yes you read that correctly a cute addition but ultimately completely useless at the same time. It offers nothing to VR at the moment and to be honest won't deliver anything for a long time to come. For the general gamer and populace, they won't have rooms big enough to really enjoy it, not to mention that walking, reaching a wall then having to turn around, while being presented with a graphical overlay of your room for a few seconds is rather.. annoying.

The only ones who can technically gain something out of Roomscale are the ones who are able to afford and have the space for one of the walking devices that are currently being developed. Most gamers though, are not willing to lay down 1200+ euro's / dollars for such a device in its current state to just enjoy roomscale applications.

As for the forbes article.. well it's an opinion piece of one person and rather biased towards the Vive. The ultimate questions is simple though, is Occulus better then the Vive? Perhaps Vice Versa? No one knows and no one will know untill they are both released and in gamer's hands.