cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting fed up with these games now

reefy86
Adventurer
at first it was excitement that made me buy games for my new rift, over a month later ive spent about £300 on games from both oculus and steam store. how are the developers getting away with charging high prices on games that are shorter then a typical game consoles demo? its got to the point where my girlfriend is going mad asking why i need to buy another game and i have to try and explain that i completed it in 1 hour of purchasing it and some are even within 5 mins.

seriously stop charging such high prices for games that you dont even state its a demo when infact 99% of vr games are actually demos 
159 REPLIES 159

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer

reefy86 said:

at first it was excitement that made me buy games for my new rift, over a month later ive spent about £300 on games from both oculus and steam store. how are the developers getting away with charging high prices on games that are shorter then a typical game consoles demo? its got to the point where my girlfriend is going mad asking why i need to buy another game and i have to try and explain that i completed it in 1 hour of purchasing it and some are even within 5 mins.

seriously stop charging such high prices for games that you dont even state its a demo when infact 99% of vr games are actually demos 

That should already have been known after a few games.  Assetto Corsa, iRacing, and Project Cars are worth it if you have a good racing setup (wheel/pedals).
facebook.com/AntDX316

cybernettr
Superstar
 Don't forget that a good game is an experience that you can revisit many times, just like a great movie.  Some people watch movies like Star Wars or Rocky Horror dozens of times.  It's not like, after you purchase a game, you're charged every time you want to play it. Some games, such as Minecraft, racing games or Medium, have huge, almost infinite replay value.  Also, if you're willing to wait, you can get most of the stuff on sale, as Oculus seems to be having a major sale each season that rolls around now. 

reefy86 said:

Clint is embarrassed for you...

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Maybe you should complain moee that console games cost so much even though they sell 1000 times as many copies? 

morenosuba
Explorer
its because there are currently very few good games for VR.

99% of the stuff is either demos, or crappy short games. the Oculus store is a rip off right now. majority of those games should not be more than 10$. a lot of them were free just a year ago. now everything is behind an overpriced pay wall.  

the only games I keep coming back to in VR are minecraft and ED. most of all the other stuff I tried once of twice and never went back. simply cause it's not that fun. once the coolness of VR fades, the gameplay doesn't hold up.

to be fair the industry is very young so a lot of effort is wasted on trying this and trying that...and most ends up being crappy. eventually more good games will come out. I hear RE7 is very good....maybe in a year i'll know.

for now you just have to do some research on the game before buying. watch gameplay videos and ask questions in forums.

jayhawk
Superstar

reefy86 said:

You have only yourself to blame. I personally haven't succumb to exactly what you describe. I will only buy games priced properly for what they offer (which I understand is subjective). I'd love to try out Job Simulator for example, but $30? Hellz no. Game is worth like $10. I could go on. Then again I don't care for Indie games in general. Call me a game snob. Supposedly Valve is working on a few big games, and Oculus is going to come out with some big ones as well.

jayhawk
Superstar

TwoHedWlf said:

Maybe you should complain moee that console games cost so much even though they sell 1000 times as many copies? 

Console games (Big budget) are often worth the $60 price tag though. Heck some games are worth at least $80 IMO, the ones you can get a good 100 hours out of, games with high replay value or good MP etc.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@reefy86 - They charge high prices because the devs need to get something back on their games. VR doesn't have anywhere near the same amount as console users, so they charge high prices for VR to claw something back. I have a handful of games because I won't pay silly prices for some of the stuff that's on the Oculus store. There was no way I was going to pay the amount The Climb was charging for example. 

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer

lovethis said:

@reefy86 - They charge high prices because the devs need to get something back on their games. VR doesn't have anywhere near the same amount as console users, so they charge high prices for VR to claw something back. I have a handful of games because I won't pay silly prices for some of the stuff that's on the Oculus store. There was no way I was going to pay the amount The Climb was charging for example. 

This argument is used very often, but I don't agree with it.  Looking at similar quality standard PC games on the steam store, they are appropriately priced from $0.99 to $4.99, and no more or less work went into producing them.  As for VR being so niche, that might actually work in the devs favor.   With the thousands of little indie games on Steam how many people are actually seeking out specific titles?  How many people are buying these dime a dozen games? "Sweet, Dark Egypt just released!! ($2.99 btw)"   😐  No offense to the devs of that game, it was the first one I picked out from the endless slew.  With the niche that is VR, there aren't as many to choose from.  You price your game adequately and you're going to have everyone with a VR headset buying your game if it's half decent.