Did you mean: 

i may have to buy one of these

bigmike20vt
Visionary
or repurpose an old fishing rod.

this looks genius imo

http://techblog.steelseries.com/images/ikeahaxx/6.jpg

based on ikea Regolit floor lamp

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

HornyyyHorn
Expert Protege
Thank you for sharing! Thats a great idea, I think. Going to order this myself.  

Anonymous
Not applicable
£55 for the lamp in the uk. great idea as I keep standing on my cable.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you think the rift cable is long enough? Might be cool to run extensions cables on it so you can unplug the rift from the unit instead of having to un-thread the cable

bigmike20vt
Visionary
as standard.. no i do not think so, but i have a 1.8m extension which i think should make it viable. those with longer still ones should be laughing imo. but as you hint at, as good as it looks imo as a solution for keeping it out of the way when gaming, imo it is just as good as an anti tangle solution.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

HornyyyHorn
Expert Protege
A little extension cable and it'll work. Ordered one...

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

kuabi said:

£55 for the lamp in the uk. great idea as I keep standing on my cable.

If the cable is a problem then there's a cheaper and non space consuming way.

1. Get a velcro strap and lace it through the back part of the headset, then put the Rift HMD cable into it. This will stop the cable from hanging off to the side and instead hang down your back. You could do this with a zip tie, cable tie as well.

2. As you're already investing in extension cables to make the HMD run reach behind you to the lamp stand, you should instead pick a point at the nearest corner or directly behind your play area, then measure out how much remaining cable is needed to reach all parts of your play area. Once you've done that, pool up and tie the remaining slack behind you or into the corner. 

This means that you've got just enough cable to move around without issue, yet the weight of the cable (you could put something on top of it as well or tack it, or insert it into a break out box[would be nice for quick release emergencies too] will hold itself down and stay in place, therefore you won't step on it when backing up.

All this lamp does is take up space(something people seem to be overlooking), requires even more cable length on top of the extensions you may already have (to get up the pole), and adds more cost. It's not far from an extra sensor!

And please be mindful of the wife aggro. This is not going to look good in the living room.

That's a pretty good solution!

EliteSPA
Superstar
Wow! Nice found @bigmike20vt
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

Wildt
Consultant
Looks like a fishing rod.. wonder what you might catch with a geek!
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb