cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 6700K vs i7 4790K

jodyrbrennan
Level 3
I'm building my first PC and I want it to be powerful enough to make it through the entire lifecycle of the CV1. Can someone who is knowledgeable tell me if it's worth it to get the i7 6700K over the i7 4790K? Or would I be better served spending the $100.00 difference elsewhere?

I'll be using a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC.
15 REPLIES 15

DaveR
Level 4
Seems like they're about the same performance: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

cybereality
Level 16
One advantage to the 6700K is a newer motherboard, including DDR4 memory and any other recent features (M.2 SSD support, etc.). I don't think the performance of the chips themselves will be much different.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jodyrbrennan
Level 3
"cybereality" wrote:
One advantage to the 6700K is a newer motherboard, including DDR4 memory and any other recent features (M.2 SSD support, etc.). I don't think the performance of the chips themselves will be much different.

Thanks. I'm going to be using DDR3 memory so it sounds like I should just stick with the 4790K.

jodyrbrennan
Level 3
"DaveR" wrote:
Seems like they're about the same performance: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Cool, thanks for the link.

whiskas_fanatic
Level 3
"jodyrbrennan" wrote:
"DaveR" wrote:
Seems like they're about the same performance: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Cool, thanks for the link.


Also good to know, 6700K have very unusual issue, as for high end CPU, they are bending (!) when used with some coolers.
Source (one of) - http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake-cp ... e-coolers/

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13
"jodyrbrennan" wrote:
I'm building my first PC and I want it to be powerful enough to make it through the entire lifecycle of the CV1. Can someone who is knowledgeable tell me if it's worth it to get the i7 6700K over the i7 4790K? Or would I be better served spending the $100.00 difference elsewhere?

I'll be using a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC.


Surely the recommended spec they have given is powerful enough to make it through the entire lifecycle of the CV1?

Eurostar27
Level 3
Talking about the same subject on CPU's. I was looking forward to the Rift, but when I done the Rift compatibility test. I was very surprised that my Intel i7 that runs at 3.5GHz was not good enough for the Rift. And yet the i5s that do past the test run almost at the same speed? Is it really so that my i7 is not fast enough for the Rift? Very disappointed by this! After all the years the Rift has been in development, I would have thought the Rift would have been more accepting to a wider range of CPU's. Yes, the graphics card is very important, but not accepting the i7s, very amazed!

Jokergod2000
Level 5
"Eurostar27" wrote:
Talking about the same subject on CPU's. I was looking forward to the Rift, but when I done the Rift compatibility test. I was very surprised that my Intel i7 that runs at 3.5GHz was not good enough for the Rift. And yet the i5s that do past the test run almost at the same speed? Is it really so that my i7 is not fast enough for the Rift? Very disappointed by this! After all the years the Rift has been in development, I would have thought the Rift would have been more accepting to a wider range of CPU's. Yes, the graphics card is very important, but not accepting the i7s, very amazed!


i7 what? An i7-920 was my first i7 and its much slower than the minimum i5-4570?

Mike1
Level 4
I'd get the 6700k, spend the little bit of extra money and future proof yourself a bit better. The instruction features on Skylake is a bit better and it does support DDR4 and some other new things. Albeit things are a bit more pricy but I like to make sure I get dont have to upgrade sooner then later.