cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

magnets in controller's battery bay

Yoirgl
Expert Protege

Hello Oculus users.

Just wondering if, like me, people are pissed that they stopped using the CV1 system for controllers (magnets for battery bay). It felt soo good, it felt solid, it felt premium. Now with the quest 2 they went back to a crappy clip design you can FEEL they'll break after a few openings. It sucks, it feels bad, it's slow (can't hard-reload during an intense firefight as I used to do on CV1) and it feels SUPER cheap.
I can't wrap my head around how a company can save maybe 2 cents apiece  to REDUCE user experience.

Let me know if you feel the same, hopefuly if there are enough of us they'll go back to it.

Yoirgl.

http://unwise.software/
4 REPLIES 4

lensmandave
Superstar

They specifically changed the battery compartment to make it more secure. People were finding that the battery could lose contact and/or the battery door could fly open when they were playing fast action games like Beat Saber.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

That's a shame. I've been playing some competitive Pavlov & Population: one and never once had I to even worry about the compartment opening unwillingly.

http://unwise.software/

kojack
MVP
MVP

One fun fact: the triggers are hall effect, not resistive. This means they use magnetic sensors.

If you look at the raw values from the hand/grip trigger, the cover magnets affect it (the values change when you add or remove the cover). The index trigger is far enough away to not be affected.

So having the magnets for the cover complicated the sensor readings.

Although I do much prefer the CV1 design to the Quest 2. Those never came loose. The Rift-S / Quest 1 controllers use magnets, but they almost come loose just by looking at them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never really had this issue with my CV1, Rift S or Quest.