Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motion sickness rating system

usb420
Honored Guest
Any thoughts on a rating system for amount of motion sickness
You will experience?

Sorry to keep harping on this but it seems like motion sickness is no longer the rift's
fault but the fault of the game itself. And some developers are going to power through with their idea
Regardless of how It makes the users feel.

This is a problem for me because sometimes I don't even want to put on the rift
not knowing if I'm going to get that knot in my stomach.

so I was thinking what might work is a rating
System. What do you guys think?
23 REPLIES 23

DonkyBoY
Protege
surely something like this would be incredibly hard to rate as we would all have slightly different tolerances for motion sickness.
Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
(All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz

Twitchmonkey
Explorer

usb420
Honored Guest
Dude that's perfect! I think I'm the guy in #4 :lol:

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm at zero because I don't have my Rift yet.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"lovethis" wrote:
I'm at zero because I don't have my Rift yet.

I'm at five because I don't have my rift yet.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

racerx3
Honored Guest
"DonkyBoY" wrote:
surely something like this would be incredibly hard to rate as we would all have slightly different tolerances for motion sickness.

I think this is giving up a little easily. There's a rough scientific approach to it that could be refined over time based on user input and data.

Basically, the factors that affect the "comfort factor" as I'll call it (from my experience):

Motion:
- Type of motion controls
- Movement speed and "buffer"
- Level of voluntary motion required
- Level of involuntary or unexpected motion

Visuals:
- Proper collision maps (i.e. can you walk through objects which should be solid?)
- Level of disorienting visual stimuli
- General (constant) brightness of the visuals
- Level of visual clarity (i.e. is it easy to make out objects at a distance?)

I'm drawing a blank on any more at the moment, but I know there are more that I've considered...

Hutty211
Honored Guest
Just got my DK2 today, never used a DK1. Ran around in Tuscany for about 5 minutes ~45 minutes ago and still feel sick 😞 Number 4 for me. I used to get motion sick quite bad as a child but at 32 it has mostly gone away. I'm hoping I just need to get used to it and that my excitement lead me to run around way too quick in Tuscany.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
"Hutty211" wrote:
Just got my DK2 today, never used a DK1. Ran around in Tuscany for about 5 minutes ~45 minutes ago and still feel sick 😞 Number 4 for me. I used to get motion sick quite bad as a child but at 32 it has mostly gone away. I'm hoping I just need to get used to it and that my excitement lead me to run around way too quick in Tuscany.

Don't look around WHILE running. I think it's a problem with Tuscany in that the camera isn't detached from the movement. Walking where you're looking while your body stays seated straight ahead is something your vestibular system isn't used to. And for good reason as it makes no sense at all. I honestly think it's a bit lazy that VR controls on an experience that comes included with the Rift are still not properly implemented. If anything this demo should set an example of how to do it right.

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
I think if you were going to set up a system you would need it to be in-depth enough to let the user know what their reaction might be given their susceptibility, but not too complicated as to make gauging their likely response too cumbersome. I think a dual scale where people could self-evaluate their relative level of susceptibility and their level of discomfort would work best.

Levels of susceptibility:

0 - The slowest moving, most comfortable demos produce discomfort almost instantly, playing anything more demanding is impossible.
1 - Can play more comfortable demos for short periods (5-10 minutes) before encountering any sickness, more demanding experiences result in near instant sickness.
2 - Can generally play comfortable demos for reasonable lengths (15-30 minutes) without any issues, more demanding experiences start to cause problems after short periods (5-10 minutes).
3 - No issues with comfortable demos, can play more demanding demos for a reasonable period (15-30 minutes), still unable to handle the most difficult demos for more than a short period (5-10 minutes).
4 - No issues with comfortable or some of the more demanding demos, but the most difficult still can result in issues after a decent session (15-30 minutes).
5 - Has experienced zero or negligible amounts of VR sickness regardless of the experience.

Levels of sickness:

0 - No VR sickness present even over extended periods (>30 minutes)
1 - Slight VR sickness over extended periods (>30 minutes), very negligible for shorter periods (<=5-10 minutes).
2 - Slight VR sickness for reasonable periods (15-30 minutes), possible moderate sickness for extended periods (>30 minutes), negligible for shorter periods (<=5-10 minutes).
3 - Slight VR sickness for short periods (<=5-10 minutes), moderate for reasonable periods (15-30 minutes), extended periods (>30 minutes) are either impossible or very uncomfortable.
4 - Moderate VR sickness immediately or over a short period (<=5-10 minutes), severe for reasonable periods (15-30 minutes), extended play is impossible or very uncomfortable.
5 - Severe VR sickness over short periods (<=5-10 minutes), anything in excess of this is impossible or very uncomfortable.

Then we could just average out the scores for each level of susceptibility, and the user would have an idea what amount of sickness they might experience based on how susceptible they are. 0/0 would mean that even the most susceptible people could play this without issue, 5/5 would suggest that even those with the strongest VR legs are going to have problems over a short period.