Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motion sickness rating system

usb420
Honored Guest
Any thoughts on a rating system for amount of motion sickness
You will experience?

Sorry to keep harping on this but it seems like motion sickness is no longer the rift's
fault but the fault of the game itself. And some developers are going to power through with their idea
Regardless of how It makes the users feel.

This is a problem for me because sometimes I don't even want to put on the rift
not knowing if I'm going to get that knot in my stomach.

so I was thinking what might work is a rating
System. What do you guys think?
23 REPLIES 23

kogashuko
Honored Guest
Hmm I am thinking with all the motion sickness listed on the rift I might break a bad habit of mine. When I was in college I would play Planetside online with a buddy of mine. I was always distracted by work or something else. One day we both decided to drink beer while playing. It was a blast and since neither one of us were driving since we were each at home so it was perfectly safe. We would play until we started flying the revers into stuff we shouldnt. I would switch to water and then go to sleep a few hours later. I still do this occasionally on weekends when I actually game. I dont think I will be able to do this with the motion sickness problem added to the occasion. Maybe a bad habit broken!
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------/ KogaShuko DK 2 - Received = Paperweight due to failure to cooperate between Nvidia and Oculus. Glad my livelihood was not resting on development!

BaseDeltaZero
Honored Guest
The problem with a rating system is that your first time in the rift will make you nauseous if you play anything but a static demo. Looking at peoples first reaction with DK2 (if its their first VR experience) even tuscany would get an initial bad nausea rating.

You get used to motion in VR the more you play, and extreme movement becomes tolerable even enjoyable once you acclimatize. And yes with a title like Ambient Flight, i am biased with this opinion 🙂
Ambient Flight Eagle Flight Experience Dinosaur Voyage Running from Dinosaurs

mptp
Explorer
Hmm I think there would be a spectrum though, ranging for first-time users something like 'first-time users tend to get mild nausea after 15 minutes of playing anything but a static demo', but in reality it ranges from no nausea at all for some people, and extreme nausea for others.

And anyway, that's why you collect separate data for first-time users, moderate-users, and heavy-users. 😄
Melbourne-based creative technologist. I flit between experimental AR/VR experiences, audiovisual electronics and full-stack web development. http://www.lachansleight.io

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
I'm not sure whether the frequency of use necessarily reflects the level of comfort experienced though. Some people can jump in immediately and be comfortable, others take months to even gain a moderate level of tolerance for VR sickness.