cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my htc vive came in today- what you can expect

in6seconds
Expert Protege
so my htc vive came in today and ill give you a quick recap on everything I was feeling, and what you will probably be feeling

1. the fedex guy is at the door, OMG hurry up and ring the doorbell, I hope you don't drop my package, I'm so excited!

2. yes, finally after all this wait, I have it, now time to set it up

3. FFS WHY IS IT SO HARD TO DRILL SCREWS INTO A WALL.

4. HOW TF DO I SET THIS UP, THIS MANUAL IS COMPLETELY USELESS

5. let me look up a youtube video

6. i don't have time to watch this video... im too excited to play it, ill figure it out myself.

7. I finally set it up now its time to play

8. ugh I have to calibrate it now? shouldnt take long.

9. calibration over, FINALLY I GET TO PLAY.

-(Calibration demo) -

10. WOAH I AM ACTUALLY MOVING IN THE GAME, THIS IS AWESOME

-(after you played most of the vr games you wanted to play)-

11. this was pretty great, I just wish my didn't get such a big headache/eyestrain/nausia

for me it was eyestrain, it was really hard for me to keep playing job simulator, made my eyes hurt badly, all in all, the htc vive is really a great device, initially I thought the htc vive was better than cv1 at launch and that the oculus cv1 with touch will be better than the htc vive, but now I think that oculus will need to have roomscale as well to compete with the htc vive, I will get my cv1 tomorrow so most likely my opinion will change again.

I have to say though, the chaperone system was very annoying, I wasn't that near from the edge and the blue lines kept showing up which was breaking my immersion, the game that made me felt the most like I was there was job simulator(out of vanishing realm, fantastic contraption, and that paint doodling game)

also at before today I thought htc vive's teleport movement system was a terrible idea, but after using it today, it was a lot better than I thought it would be, a better option should be thought of, but I can't say I still dislike the teleporting movement system
13 REPLIES 13

edmg
Trustee
Teleporting is basically the least bad option when you don't have space and don't have a treadmill. I can handle controller motion in some games, but it still feels weird even if I don't get sick.

And, yeah, I had to race the Fedex truck to my house after my Vive went from stuck in customs to suddenly out for delivery while I was at work :).

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
If your eye honestly hurt after using the Vive, something was wrong.  You either didn't have the HMD on properly or the IPD wasn't set correctly.  You shouldn't have any eye strain using it.

in6seconds
Expert Protege
I think the problem was that I was playing job simulator(a very bright game) in a dark room, this problem only started when I played that game, and how do I set the ipd

edmg
Trustee
You set the IPD with the knob on the side. As you turn it, a popup shows the current value in millimetres.

The problem is that Valve don't give you any way to tell when it's correct, unless you already know your correct value in millimetres. The Rift apparently has a step in the setup which allows you to set it properly without measuring the distance between your eyes.

Remember that you can also adjust the eye relief with the two knobs where the straps attach, which might help with eye strain (but is far less likely to).

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I think the problem was that I was playing job simulator(a very bright game) in a dark room, this problem only started when I played that game, and how do I set the ipd

How much do they pay an hour to play this Job simulator? 

Gerald
Expert Protege
what did you think about Budget Cuts?

And have you set the IPD to your correct values? Also you can push out the nobs on the sides if you need more space inside (in case missing glasses are the reason of your eye strain).
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

Gerald
Expert Protege

You shouldn't even notice if the room is bright or dark ... maybe try the other faceplate.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

Tel1888
Explorer
I received my Htc Vive and can say the setup was fairly straightforward , charged the controllers first , made a decent play area , drilled 4 holes and put sensors up and i was good to go , haveing the dk2 for a year or so now i wasn;t sure what it would be like and i have to tell you it was an awesome expierence , i havent put it down .I ordered it start of may and got it 12 days later. I cant even go back to playing normal games on my pc haha ..i agree the instructions are a bit crap out of the box but just run the setup online and its pretty much abc. I have decided to cancel the Rift so someone else can have it and will get it eventually sometime down the line once it releases Touch until then its the Vive for me as the hand controllers transfoms how it plays .

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the IPD is set incorrectly for you (twist the little knob at the bottom right of the HMD). When I let younger kids play, I set their IPD to the lowest, I think like 60mm. Then after, I forget and put on the hmd and go...omg! why are my eyes so bad; but then, readjust to 70mm and it's much better on the eyes, all normal again. 

Brightness could be a subjective problem, as I am on the flip slide and love the higher brightness (comparing to a Gear VR). Although, being in a dark or lit room shouldn't affect how you view the screen, the Vive does a very good job at sealing off light... the most I have experienced from any current HMD.