cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not looking forward to when Vive PRO releases

danknugz
Superstar
going to make the CV1 look even worse, and feel like I am using a subpar piece of hardware. unfortunately I am committed to the oculus platform unless I decide to set up a whole new lighthouse system (not happening unless oculus decide to continue to be annoying and not releasing an updated rift)

not too happy with oculus right now.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
145 REPLIES 145

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I've already mentioned in other threads there won't be as big a difference doing an A>B comparison of the Rift and Vive Pro as there will be doing an A>B comparison of the Vive and Vive Pro because the Rift's displays and optics are so much better.

And the Vive Pro is probably going to cost a fortune too. We'll see the CV2 releasing next year with at least 2K resolution (as opposed to the 1.5K that the Vive Pro will have) with a slightly larger FOV by 10 or 20 degrees. And if Oculus have nailed foveated rendering we'll see them releasing a 4K headset. Whether it's going to be 2K or 4K the visuals will piss all over the Vive Pro the same way the visuals of the Rift have pissed all over the Vive this generation.

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I bought a Samsung Odyssey last week for the allegedly vastly better display quality. I returned it the next day because despite having 77% more pixels (and monstrously higher system requirements), it somehow managed to have a lower visible resolution than the Rift. The Vive Pro uses the same displays and may or may not use the same lenses. I agree we need to start hearing something about the CV2 though. The Rift is 2 years old, it needs to be replaced by the 3 year mark.

danknugz
Superstar

snowdog said:

As I've already mentioned in other threads there won't be as big a difference doing an A>B comparison of the Rift and Vive Pro as there will be doing an A>B comparison of the Vive and Vive Pro because the Rift's displays and optics are so much better.

And the Vive Pro is probably going to cost a fortune too. We'll see the CV2 releasing next year with at least 2K resolution (as opposed to the 1.5K that the Vive Pro will have) with a slightly larger FOV by 10 or 20 degrees. And if Oculus have nailed foveated rendering we'll see them releasing a 4K headset. Whether it's going to be 2K or 4K the visuals will piss all over the Vive Pro the same way the visuals of the Rift have pissed all over the Vive this generation.

but we have to wait a whole year, this is the thing
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

danknugz
Superstar

I bought a Samsung Odyssey last week for the allegedly vastly better display quality. I returned it the next day because despite having 77% more pixels (and monstrously higher system requirements), it somehow managed to have a lower visible resolution than the Rift. The Vive Pro uses the same displays and may or may not use the same lenses. I agree we need to start hearing something about the CV2 though. The Rift is 2 years old, it needs to be replaced by the 3 year mark.

right, the silence of behalf of oculus is deafening

Competitive improvements are what the tech industry is all about, I'm definitely looking forward to an improved Vive cos it means Oculus' next PC HMD has to be better... and progress goes on. It's a good thing isn't it?

danknugz
Superstar
i guess, of course yeah thats great, but what use is it when we have to wait a whole year?

most of us remember how much it sucked waiting for dk2 and cv1. are we going to have to go through this all over again??

HTC is doing it right - announcement to release should be short and not some huge epicly long drawn out cock tease. im already frustrated with oculus just thinking about it, almost enough to make me want to ditch oculus altogether, really sick of this shit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Vive Pro will have advantage of a larger sweet spot compared to the Odyssey though, and it remains to be seen whether it has the same displays as the Odyssey too. We might see better quality displays in the Vive Pro.

We'll hear about the CV2 at Facebook's F8 keynote in May I think but we probably won't see it at events until the second half of the year. We regularly saw different versions of the Rift incrementally because there was a real need for those different versions but we won't see as many this year.

danknugz said:

i guess, of course yeah thats great, but what use is it when we have to wait a whole year?

most of us remember how much it sucked waiting for dk2 and cv1. are we going to have to go through this all over again??

HTC is doing it right - announcement to release should be short and not some huge epicly long drawn out cock tease. im already frustrated with oculus just thinking about it, almost enough to make me want to ditch oculus altogether, really sick of this shit.

You own the best HMD available right now.  It has the best software too.  What exactly are you sick of dank?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

danknugz
Superstar
the huge black bars on both sides of my vision, vertical FoV way too short, feels like a viewfinder, and binocular overlap (is that what its called?), the black areas on the inner edges of both your eyes.

DK2 had none of these issues, and I always felt that CV1 was a compromise in that regard.