cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

only just noticed my 980ti has only one hdmi

jusbott
Expert Protege
only just noticed my 980ti has one hdmi, 3 displayports and one dvi and the hdmi is used has its on a 4k tv so for the rift can you use a dvi to hdmi adapter and put it in that
50 REPLIES 50

jusbott
Expert Protege
our will a displayport to hdmi work

Murpheus77
Protege
My 980 also has a single HDMI port which is used exclusively for the Rift. I built the rig for the Rift and use it for not much else, so the monitor gets the DVI output by means of an adapter.

r00x
Adventurer
It's probably better to use HDMI for the Rift and get an adapter for your TV to use one of the other ports, to be honest. It shouldn't make a difference either way but I think that's the official Oculus position on it? At least I'm sure Cyber has implied as much before (better to not use an adapter for the Rift, that is).

Percy1983
Superstar
I see your problem as I guess your 4K is hdmi 2.0 without DVI or DP.

In many cases I would say shuffle and use the hdmi for the rift but of course this won't work.

I would say a dvi to hdmi convertor for the rift is your best option.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Mike1
Protege
"Percy1983" wrote:
I see your problem as I guess your 4K is hdmi 2.0 without DVI or DP.

In many cases I would say shuffle and use the hdmi for the rift but of course this won't work.

I would say a dvi to hdmi convertor for the rift is your best option.

Dont touch DVI if you have Display Port, Use HDMI only for the rift and DPtoX adapters for your monitors (Or direct DVI if they have it on older 1080p) IMO

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
just use the screen with the Display port, there are a lot of adaptor or hdmi to display port cable 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
I think HDMI is preferred for Rift, though I imagine adapters for other digital ports would be OK (don't quote me, I haven't tried it yet), provided they have the necessary bandwidth. In general, though, it's probably best to plug Rift using HDMI and then use DisplayPort for your monitors.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Percy1983
Superstar
Seems there is finally a dp to hdmi2.0 adapter which works:

http://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displaypor ... AC-1070%29

There you go use that for your TV and hdmi to the Rift.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

hubick
Protege
Yeah, I have this exact problem as well.

All the GTX 9XX cards on Newegg have a single HDMI 2.0 port and triple DP, so that pretty much means it's a limitation of the chip, and you can't really swap cards (I was debating using this as an excuse to upgrade my 980 to a Ti).

There's a million DP to HDMI 1.4 adapters out there, but that Club3D (CAC-1070) adapter is apparently the only true HDMI 2.0 adapter in existence right now, and it's currently back-ordered, and who knows when it'll actually ship again. I just pre-ordered anyway!

This obviously leads one to wonder what level of HDMI is actually required to support CV1's 2160x1200x90hz, and happily, according to https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/ the Rift is only HDMI 1.3!

So, I really hope @cybereality suggestion to favor HDMI over DP doesn't turn out to be required, and that any of the multitude of HDMI 1.4 adapters will work. Or that the Club3D adapters ship again soon. Or everyone that has a 4K TV and a Rift is gonna be sad.