Here's the first article I've seen on it - Polygon ain't pulling any punches 

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/12/11413174/oculus-rift-launch-delay

26 REPLIES 26

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer
Oh no censor it with violence! @.@

RiftFlyer
Protege
Such a shame. The mainstream media won't be far behind. Not the start VR needs. Someone high up the food chain at oculus needs to get their marching orders. How many times are customers to put up with this. Did they learn nothing from dk2? It was the exact same story. Issues ordering then delays delivering.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Thing is though , even though it's the same debacle as dk2 release, peeps still bought it in their droves. Exactly what will happen in this case. All our moaning will not change a single thing IMO 😞
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

GAZZY75
Explorer

Techy111 said:

All our moaning will not change a single thing IMO 😞

Maybe not this generation. What do you think will happen when AMD, Sony and other big players start releasing HMDs? How much loyalty and goodwill have Oculus lost recently? They aren't the good guys of VR anymore.

edmg
Trustee

GAZZY75 said:

What do you think will happen when AMD, Sony and other big players start releasing HMDs?

AMD are building HMDs for the far future, not for consumers; and they haven't shipped a consumer product in years (I think they used to sell graphics cards as well as chips?). Sony are a generation behind Oculus with the PSVR. Even HTC are shipping a dev kit disguised as a consumer product.

Oculus' success or failure won't be determined by the CV1 launch, or even the CV1 itself. It will be determined by the next two or three generations of headsets.

FingerMcPokeye
Heroic Explorer

edmg said:

GAZZY75 said:

What do you think will happen when AMD, Sony and other big players start releasing HMDs?

AMD are building HMDs for the far future, not for consumers; and they haven't shipped a consumer product in years (I think they used to sell graphics cards as well as chips?). Sony are a generation behind Oculus with the PSVR. Even HTC are shipping a dev kit disguised as a consumer product.

Oculus' success or failure won't be determined by the CV1 launch, or even the CV1 itself. It will be determined by the next two or three generations of headsets.

I'm buying the Rift right now because it's the best HMD "available" gen 1 product.  Customer loyalty is vanished though.  I'm only here because it's the only game in town.  I feel like I bought from the f'n Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.

Oculus needs to win the war outright otherwise I'll go elsewhere for gen 2.

Chassit
Heroic Explorer

Techy111 said:

Thing is though , even though it's the same debacle as dk2 release, peeps still bought it in their droves. Exactly what will happen in this case. All our moaning will not change a single thing IMO 😞

The problem is most people in this round are "consumers" in the real sense, not Kickstarter backers investing in the future. Chances are they aren't even aware of any DK2 debacle.

Being picked up by the release is good. Oculus sent quite a few units (relative to what little inventory they had) to the press on or right before the launch day to produce the illusion that everything is going smooth. It's time to dismantle that and let people know what's happening.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@Chassit I agree 100 percent mate
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

brievolz84
Expert Protege
Ah who really cares what the, mostly biased, press thinks or reports on.  There is a saying in marketing, "there is no such thing as bad press".  After 6 months this will be forgotten because consumers have little to no long-term memory.  A company would have to do something really egregious for consumers to remember.