flyingsaucers
Expert Protege
Here's the first article I've seen on it - Polygon ain't pulling any punches 

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/12/11413174/oculus-rift-launch-delay

26 REPLIES 26

thief6666
Honored Guest
"they aren't good guys of VR anymore"

OMG what a understatement. There are titles already that are compromised by OCULUS approach: "..lets include shitty XBOX 360 controller which we said suck soon much for VR  and tell them that we are excited to do so - so we can catch up with Valve... poisoning VR well is allowed when WE ARE doing it" - 

The "oculus poisoned product " is Mars exploration title developed with NASA which is using lowest common denominator - XBOX 360 controller

edmg
Trustee

thief6666 said:

The "oculus poisoned product " is Mars exploration title developed with NASA which is using lowest common denominator - XBOX 360 controller

Excellent. I'd wondered whether that would work with my Omni when it arrived, or be crippled with some 'roomscale' nonsense.

Or would you really prefer that you moved around Mars by waving a stick and teleporting everywhere?

Zambrick
Expert Protege

edmg said:

If you really think bad press doesn't matter, then you don't have very much experience with bad press. 

Bad press might have mattered thirty years ago. It doesn't matter now, when today's story is forgotten as soon as something new comes along.

Unless the target takes advantage of it, and makes it a free marketing campaign. Which seems to be the in thing these days.

So everyone including yourself has the attention span of a Goldfish? I think thats what your saying in so many words. My 65 year old Dad asked me about the Rift and I never said one word to him about it before hand.

If the public wants to find out when they might get a hold of the rift and they go looking into it  Lets assume that they find lets say this forum or the many other publications that have spoken about the unreliability of this companies product support.

So let me put it to you in simple terms. If Car company A created a car that was reported to make cars that catch on fire and 10 years have passed. Would you still purchase that same model car from Company A, or would you go and buy a car from some other company.  .

thief6666
Honored Guest
edmg - Vive wands have buttons - no problem with walking forward button, where turning around is real and where you can "touch" Martian surface/objects. so much better than experience developed for sitting in the chair with XBOX controller.

pjenness
Rising Star

edmg said:

Most consumers won't buy a Rift until they find them in retail stores, and will be completely oblivious to any complaints about preorders. Nor will many of those saying 'I'll never buy from Oculus again!' refuse to buy CV2 if it's the best headset of the next generation.

I agree

I imagine most of the per-now orders are VR enthusiasts like all of us (DK1/DK2 users) .
Those who have experienced the early glimpses of VR are the sukkers dedicated people who sat up at 5am or whatever you time was for the launch count down.  (like me)

I think there are very small percentage genuine "consumer" people yet, except the general public that either know someone with a VR headset and was allowed to try it..or found it by chance on youtube or gearVR in a store.
(For example I stumbled on VR with some youtube vloggers, then tried Durovis Dive with my iphone..then to DK2)

Until it is sitting on shelves in a store and advertised to the public (ie not Reddit or geeky youtube channels) most of the public probably have not even heard of Rift or Vive.

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

pjenness
Rising Star

Unless the Vive takes off, a botched launch like this may have killed the format before it started.
No I doubt it.

Maybe slow traction...but the Gen1 Viev/Rift give developers a very strong platform to start with.

Even playing some of the home games on Dk2 is a new experience.

Come a few months when GOOD devs produce interesting content, you will see a lot of the top youtube channels start using them (pewkypie, JackScepticeye, mackiplier, tested  etc etc) .  Once THEY start raving and continually using, there will be Millions of viewers watching, and a percentage of them getting interested.

Social media is a strong avertising agent now, and Facebook backs/owns Oculus........ They arent stupid, they know how to make money, there will be something in the works for sure.

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

Anonymous
Not applicable

pjenness said:

I imagine most of the per-now orders are VR enthusiasts like all of us (DK1/DK2 users) .

Probably true. I wasn't a DK user because I wanted to wait for a finished product, but I watched closely and pre-ordered instantly. Unfortunately, the shine is off of this release for me and, from what I can see, for a lot of other people, including some press.

It's a problem for them because this isn't not a mainstream product yet. Their ultimate success will rely on the early adopters to sing the praises of VR to the next wave of customers. The headlines right now should be "experience the magic of VR, if you're lucky enough to get your hands on a headset" and instead, they're "nerds everywhere are angry over shipping delays, order errors, and poor customer service." It's not good for VR as a whole and certainly not good for Oculus.