Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Steam Controller" announced

Walky
Explorer
22 REPLIES 22

KydDynoMyte
Honored Guest
Replacing the thumbsticks with round discs made me think of way back when I removed the round discs from my Intellivision controllers and replaced them with sticks for better control. I never knew my upgrade was really a downgrade. I hope I can find the old discs to switch them back.

bidji
Honored Guest
yeah, well... always nice to see some innovation in gaming, I suppose. I still think keyboard+mouse is a vastly superior way of controlling games. but then again, I'm not a "living room" gamer.

KydDynoMyte
Honored Guest
"bidji" wrote:
.... I still think keyboard+mouse is a vastly superior way of controlling games...

I think a thumb trackball is vastly superior to a mouse, but I'd rather my opponents use a mouse or gamepad type controller.

bidji
Honored Guest
oh, I was just speaking for myself. it's just that I've been using the KB+M combo for so long that I'm pretty much useless with anything else. 🙂

Frito
Explorer
Nice, would like to see a demo of those ¨talking¨ haptics
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

DarkJames
Honored Guest
"Frito" wrote:
Nice, would like to see a demo of those ¨talking¨ haptics

Same, I'm curious as to what sort of sounds can be produced by that parlour trick.
Seeing is believing

Walky
Explorer
That will depend mainly on the frequency range they can handle and the physical propertied of the controller. This is similar to how you can play music on stepper motor based devices/machines such as floppy disk drives or CNC machines (those are frequency-only based though, so it's quite limited), but depending on the feedback system used it might be able to produce "richer" sounds:

360FOV
Honored Guest
A controller with mouse precision is exactly what is needed to bring PC gaming into the living room. It will allow console gamers who are visiting their PC gamer friends to jump into the game without the fear that they will look bad due to their lack of mouse skills. I have to admit that their is a great convenience to sitting on a couch with a controller. It just seems so awkward to use a mouse at any place other than a desk.

The addition of haptic feedback is a nice touch also. Actually feeling the direction that firing is coming from will be a blast! 😄
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

drash
Heroic Explorer
Really digging this controller. The initial announcement was underwhelming until I scrolled down to see the thing. 🙂

"360FOV" wrote:
It will allow console gamers who are visiting their PC gamer friends to jump into the game without the fear that they will look bad due to their lack of mouse skills.

And the other way around! If I visit someone playing a crazy console FPS and they hand me the controller with thumbsticks, and I'm like a deer in the headlights for a bit. 😞
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com