cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"flat" gaming in virtual desktop

flyingsaucers
Level 5
Anyone have anecdotes to relay about with playing regular games in virtual desktop? I don't have a Rift yet nor have I tried out virtual desktop, but it seems from the promos and videos that you can increase your virtual monitor's size and aspect ratio, and I wonder if, for example, you could load up a game like Dark Souls III and play it on a (simulated) massive screen in ultra-wide? And if so, is the relatively low resolution of the Rift detrimental to the image quality in a flat game moreso than a VR game? 
14 REPLIES 14

Zandil
Level 8
I'm happy about this as I stuck to a 1920x1080 monitor so The Rift won't be a drop for me I hope.

I think this is the issue with Res complaints on the Rift, people coming from 4K Monitors thinking the Rift would somehow compare in Res

Electryic
Level 4

Zandil said:

I'm happy about this as I stuck to a 1920x1080 monitor so The Rift won't be a drop for me I hope.

I think this is the issue with Res complaints on the Rift, people coming from 4K Monitors thinking the Rift would somehow compare in Res

When its in proper 3D you can easily  forgive the resolution. I just played Arkham City in VorpX  and again it was pretty amazing (similar reaction each time I play).. even though it was in 1080 and I normally play in 4K on my monitor.    I was just commenting on playing games on the big screen in virtual desktop without 3D, i.e. just a flat screen.     The resolution on the Rift is by no means *bad* per se, its just different from a monitor which is normally compact and right in front of you.   Blowing up 1080 to a giant screen will be exactly that.. 1080 on a giant screen.     I definitely dont think anyone will be disappointed.   My overall impression with games in Virtual desktop has never been that I thought it was cheap or looked bad or was crappy resolution.   Its just a different expereince from playing on a monitor.     I'm sure you will all be quite pleased with playing Dark Souls etc on the Rift in virtual desktop.  

FiveFingerStudi
Level 4
If you have an Xbox one you can play it in Virtual desktop on a big screen as well.

I've  played Halo Wars (a Xbox 360 game) that is backwards compatible on the Xbox one and streamed it to my PC and used Virtual Destop to make a huge screen.

Emulation
Game streaming
VR
Virtual Desktop

Talk about a lot of different technologies to make that happen!

haydxn
Level 4
Same with PS4 now too 🙂 it's pretty cool.

flyingsaucers
Level 5

Zandil said:

Nobody with any experience in UHD thinks the resolutions are comparable - hence the original question. 

After gaming in ultrawide 3440x1440p, the thought of going back to a regular "HD" screen is disappointing, but I'm hoping that the immersion factor will make up for it (for the topic at hand, of course - VR is a different story).