cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"flat" gaming in virtual desktop

flyingsaucers
Level 5
Anyone have anecdotes to relay about with playing regular games in virtual desktop? I don't have a Rift yet nor have I tried out virtual desktop, but it seems from the promos and videos that you can increase your virtual monitor's size and aspect ratio, and I wonder if, for example, you could load up a game like Dark Souls III and play it on a (simulated) massive screen in ultra-wide? And if so, is the relatively low resolution of the Rift detrimental to the image quality in a flat game moreso than a VR game? 
14 REPLIES 14

Chassit
Level 7
Also waiting for my Rift to arrive. But I've been thinking about this too. Here's my speculation: It's impossible to magic hardware pixels out of thin air, so I guess it's impossible to play a 4K game on the Rift through Virtual Desktop per se. What it does is to create 4K screen and scale it down by putting it faraway in your field of view. You might be able to "zoom in" (walk closer up), but in that case you should only be able to see a portion of the whole picture.

TremF
Level 5
Depending on the game text could be an issue BUT playing a game that isn't VR on a giant cinema sized curved screen is fantastic! :smiley: 

I've tried a few games on giant screen and so long as you aren't having to look into the distance you don't really notice the lack of distance detail. A game like Dark Souls III should be good on cinema screen 🙂

Jose
Level 7
I play GTA V or Stardew Valley in 720p using Rift in Virtual Desktop almost every night, while laying in bed using the floating screen mode. It is now my preferred way of "using computers" in bed, whereas before I'd normally use a tablet or my phone. The experience is very good and comfortable.

I recommend also getting Controller Companion (http://controllercompanion.com/) since it's only 3 bucks, and it lets you use your gamepad as a keyboard and mouse.

SkateZilla
Level 5
GTAV has VorpX Support, which is supported by 1.3 Runtimes.. 

Zandil
Level 8
How dose something like The Division hold up on the VR big screen ?

Syrellaris
Level 8

Jose said:

I play GTA V or Stardew Valley in 720p using Rift in Virtual Desktop almost every night, while laying in bed using the floating screen mode. It is now my preferred way of "using computers" in bed, whereas before I'd normally use a tablet or my phone. The experience is very good and comfortable.

I recommend also getting Controller Companion (http://controllercompanion.com/) since it's only 3 bucks, and it lets you use your gamepad as a keyboard and mouse.

ooh thank you for that, ill look into that controller companion.

Electryic
Level 4
Resolution is definitely an issue if your used to playing in 4K.   The Rift is limited to 1080p, no matter what your in game resolution is.   It looks phenomenal in the videos because its in a tiny window.  

You can definitely play games using Virtual Desktop but you will definitely notice a difference in resolution.  Its basically just as you would expect if you were playing on a giant 1080 screen.    The best games are those that are made for VR and they are in Stereoscopic.   VorpX is pretty good depending on the game....but it only works for a handful of games and may or may not work at all.   I found one game that I really enjoyed playing using VorpX.. Batman Arkham City.  It was a game that I really liked being in VR.. and the 3D is perfectly implemented. Now after the latest update to the new runtime it no longer works and keeps crashing.  

Anyway long story short I was playing some games in virtual desktop because I had other people around who wanted the lights on etc and it was more convenient to play using the headset.    Sadly its just what you would expect.. i.e. basically identical to playing on a massive 1080 monitor.  You can make it as big or far or close as you want (i.e. you can make it huge and right in front of your face, but its still a 1080 monitor.   Its definitely not a 4K monitor with high DPI. 

Electryic
Level 4
I would basically compare it to playing on a console.. kind of like if you were playing a console on a big 1080 screen (as big as you want at whatever distance you want.. but still 1080)

Electryic
Level 4
Dont get me wrong... its awesome.. but if your used to playing in high resolution on a quality monitor, prepare to not only be downgraded to 1080p.. but also the bigger you make the screen the more noticeable its going to be.  Virtual Desktop is great for watching movies though and the Rift is awesome when it comes to games made for VR that don't focus on high detail resolution (i.e. Luckey's Tale is utterly mindblowing.. nearly religious experience).