cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ripped off?

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer
rift plus touch advertised at $598.......
BUT it is also £598??????

Last time I looked there was $1.25 - £1
Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo
19 REPLIES 19

PhilSurtees
Protege
Brexit has done you in. Dollars-to-pounds dropped post-Brexit-vote from $1.60 to about $1.20 now, and is expected to fall more before it stabilizes.

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
I bought mine pre brexit...so I don't care . Have a very nice day :0)

elboffor
Consultant
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This isn't anything new. We always get ripped off here in the UK when it comes to consumer goods. You can say 'yeah, but taxes' or 'yeah but exchange rate' all you want but the VAT and exchange rate still doesn't make up for the extra we have to pay due to living in the UK. This has been going on for DECADES unfortunately.

I've no idea why, hopefully after we've left the EU things might improve due to better deals being able to be done with the States, China, Japan, India etc but we won't see the fruits of those deals for another couple of years probably, and even then you're going to see Supermarkets and retail stores being greedy bastards anyway.

I would give anything to live in the US, much better people and much better choices for buying stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We always seem to pay more in the UK. I remember buying a camera in the US in CA... about $90 in 2012. I came home after a month and in the UK it cost around £120. 

ShoeHash
Protege

snowdog said:

This isn't anything new. We always get ripped off here in the UK when it comes to consumer goods. You can say 'yeah, but taxes' or 'yeah but exchange rate' all you want but the VAT and exchange rate still doesn't make up for the extra we have to pay due to living in the UK. This has been going on for DECADES unfortunately.

I've no idea why, hopefully after we've left the EU things might improve due to better deals being able to be done with the States, China, Japan, India etc but we won't see the fruits of those deals for another couple of years probably, and even then you're going to see Supermarkets and retail stores being greedy bastards anyway.

I would give anything to live in the US, much better people and much better choices for buying stuff.

Traveling through the UK in 2004 I noticed everything had US prices, just shifted for pounds. A big mac at McDonalds (what is more American) costs 5 dollars here and 5 pounds in central London. At the time the exchange rate was 1$=50 pence or less, so we considered our ten dollar hamburgers completely conned.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Hmmm, 598 gpb= $751usd, subtract 20% VAT=$625 usd.  You're paying a whole $25usd extra.  And that's probably covering the costs of them setting up whatever freight forwarder, local agent they're using.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
A year or two ago I had a look at the Saitek Cessna 172 "simulator" for FSX. The exchange rate at the time was the then normal $1.60 = £1

Price for US = $5,000

Price for EU = 5,500 Euro

Price for UK = £5,000  ($8,000)

Nuff said. Nowt to do with Brexit - which everyone else is just using as an excuse to get good deals (for them, of course) while they can.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Litespeed
Heroic Explorer
Just due the fact that VAT is always included in prices in Europe (including UK) while taxes are never included when you see prices in the US. No ripoff, no conspiracy, no EU to blame. 

Keetchyboy
Honored Guest
Something's only worth what your willing to pay for it.