cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

there are only 7 3d VR movies?

tanktop4158
Honored Guest
Right....or are there more and I just haven't found them?
11 REPLIES 11

ohgrant
Superstar
There are some contained in free apps. Hasn't really caught on yet though IMO. I do remember a pretty imaginative horror series that was full 360, the image was pretty low res.,  when I had my Gear VR. To be honest, what I've seen so far leads me to believe camera tech needs to catch up with VR.
I'll have to look up the Terrance Malick, not really sure of any of those 7, but I'm interested. So far what of seen of 360 videos are some decent 3D with a low resolution look to them or even 2d 360 which makes the poor resolution more apparent IMO.  Not sure if the cameras need to catch up with VR or we need to wait for the next gen VR display tech to catch up with the cameras. 
I'll check out Terrace Malice to see his stuff though. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

AppaloosaHorse
Explorer

MowTin said:

ohgrant said:

I'm assuming you mean the available theatrical release 3D movies from Oculus's video app? Planet of the Apes and such, or do you mean the 360 stuff? 

I know there are some VR movies. I've never seen any. I don't mean 3D movies. I have a project that supports 3D (Is VR 3D better?). I mean VR movies. I've seen plenty of 360 videos on YouTube. 

Where are the 7 3D VR movies he's talking about? Are they just 3D movies viewed in VR? 

I heard Terrance Malick made a VR movie. Are there other VR movies?

The movies are on Oculus Video which videos formerly could be purchased from Oculus Rift to stream.  I am rewatching them while still able, as the clarity is on par with going to a theater, the 3D effect is very nice.  I bought three of them but the choices were limited and I really only looked for those that were 3D as normal movies can be easily watched using Big Screen or Virtual Desktop.  These are not the low quality of the other available content made to stream to a low-end HMD.   

I had seen a couple ripped from 3D Blueray by MakeMKV (which perhaps could have been poorly done) but the 3D effect was marginal.   Perhaps someone like Cyberlink will allow the use of Oculus Rift for 3D viewing in the future. The present one they offer allows for browsing content as for instance 360 videos but does not allow for viewing of Blueray 3D movies.