cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade kit HD for dev kit ver 1

zohan
Honored Guest
Hi,

would it be possible to make upgrade kits to upgrade dev kit v1 to hd when it comes out(purchase option).

Thank you 8-)
6 REPLIES 6

raidho36
Explorer
I'm positive there won't be official upgrade kit, but I heard that Palmer said there will be direcitons how to upgrade your DK1 to match new features of DK2. I think it's most likely with stock parts like Hydra or generic webcam or whatever, duct-tape-method compatible level, no hardcore engineering. But who knows.

zohan
Honored Guest
"raidho36" wrote:
I'm positive there won't be official upgrade kit, but I heard that Palmer said there will be direcitons how to upgrade your DK1 to match new features of DK2. I think it's most likely with stock parts like Hydra or generic webcam or whatever, duct-tape-method compatible level, no hardcore engineering. But who knows.

oh I hope your wrong about it ...
I for sure would buy such a kit if available.

Kra
Honored Guest
It's been pointed out by Palmer and others a few times about how an upgrade kit would be very redundant.

The 2 major things that we know about are positional tracking and a better screen. So we want to replace the screen and either add a supplement to current tracker, or replace tracker completely. Taking out the screen, we need a new controller suited to that screen, so there goes the breakout box and also now the optics in the eyecups are incorrect. The only thing you wouldn't have to replace would be the plastic part attached to the strap.

We won't be seeing an upgrade kit from Oculus.
Order ID: 0843XX -- Ready: 22-Oct -- 24hr Notification: 30-Oct -- Processing: 2-Nov Shipped: 6-Nov -- Arrived: 11-Nov

Vin
Explorer
I heard they are gonna make an upgrade kit for this, but they call it the consumer version.

cegli
Honored Guest
Yes, control box is a single-link LVDS interface. It can't plug into a high res screen. Different screen size = new lenses and new case. That means, new control box, new case, new lenses, added optical tracking, plus I think they'll update the tracker. That means everything would have to be upgraded except the straps, maybe?

There's nothing upgradeable about the DevKit sadly, you'll just have to buy the consumer version!