cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading GPU

dXxSHAGGYxXb
Honored Guest
So i want to upgrade my PC from a GTX 760 Ti to a Gtx 970 for the CV1, but im not sure if it will work.
I have been doing some reserch on some cards and need some help in figureing out what will work in my system.

Here is the EVGA 970 SC
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Cooling-Graphics-04G-P4-1972-KR/dp/B00NI45AUU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&...

or

Here is the PNY 970
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-GTX-970-4GB/dp/B0165YVEEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452414889&sr=8-1...

Im fine with ether card i just want something that will handle the CV1 like the beautiful hardware it is for the best VR experience, and my system be able to run with the card

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated

Current Pc Specs

Alienware X51 R2
- 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti with 2G GDDR5
- 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
- 330w power supply
8 REPLIES 8

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
Maybe Pascal might get released. Wait until you get your CV1 before deciding to order. Right when you get CV1 Pascal might launch secretly like Z170 and the prices of the 970 will drop and at the same price point you can get like 2x more performance.
facebook.com/AntDX316

Ferretfing
Protege
Hi, a 330w PSU is not going to be enough - I would suggest a high quality PSU of at least 750w for future proofing (I use Corsair as they come with a long warranty). Any GTX 970 will work fine in your system as long as your PC case can handle full sized cards.

dXxSHAGGYxXb
Honored Guest
"ferretfing" wrote:
Hi, a 330w PSU is not going to be enough - I would suggest a high quality PSU of at least 750w for future proofing (I use Corsair as they come with a long warranty). Any GTX 970 will work fine in your system as long as your PC case can handle full sized cards.

Ok so the both cards would work in fitting in the case, but your saying that the power supply wouldnt be enough to handle the new card ?

dXxSHAGGYxXb
Honored Guest
"AntDX3162" wrote:
Maybe Pascal might get released. Wait until you get your CV1 before deciding to order. Right when you get CV1 Pascal might launch secretly like Z170 and the prices of the 970 will drop and at the same price point you can get like 2x more performance.

Ya i planned on waiting till i got the CV1 before i did anything, just like to plan ahead.
But thank you for the advice about price droping didnt think about that

sparkie14
Expert Protege
For me a 970 is not enough. It may be to run oculus optimised games but no the likes of pcars or assetto corsa in all its glory. A 970 struggles to run in 1080 it 60 fps on high. 980ti is probably the way to go (price ouch). Ive just sold my 2 970s in sli for a new card and looks like its gonna b a 980ti as the pascals wont be out in time.

Ferretfing
Protege
"dXxSHAGGYxXb" wrote:
"ferretfing" wrote:

Ok so the both cards would work in fitting in the case, but your saying that the power supply wouldnt be enough to handle the new card ?

330w will be nowhere near enough - I'm surprised it's enough for what you already have.

As Sparkie14 says, a 970 is the bare minimum for VR really & it's better to go higher if you can afford the extra.

Varil
Protege
For Nvidia cards you dont need a 1000w power unless you will be going sli, 550w to 750w should be enough.

As for the rest, the gpu is definitely not going to run well enough. So at least that needs an update.

If you will be going for better processor i would suggest to ramp up straight to the intel skylake, they will need a new mobo, and that will also mean ddr4.

So if i were you, i'd just upgrade the whole computer, good discounts with the occulus bundles. However you may also wait (and save the money) until you get your rift shipped, buying/building up a pc takes a day if you have a good store nearby that has the parts you need on shelf.

Oniji
Honored Guest
I am going to 'try' and wait for Pascal if I can. But if there are 0 Nvidia announcements by the time I get my CV1, I will likely bite the bullet and get a 980Ti. But anything can change from now until then. The pascal cards might not even be consumer ready yet, and might just be for enterprise.