cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vocal minority

Cmndr-Hill
Expert Protege
If it was not for Palmer Luckey, I would not be eagerly awaiting my first VR experience. Would there be this large expansion of VR content as well as headsets with out his Love for VR? I do not think so. Someone else would have started it for sure, but we would not be this far along with hardware or content with out his kickstarter. The VR express is loading up and I want to be on-board. Lets see what great and wonderful places it will take us!

My vocal minority thoughts,  what are yours?
16 REPLIES 16

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Palmer and Oculus made this happen, and I will be forever grateful to them for that as I've said in many threads. VR has already changed my life, I can't wait to see the future of it.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Sloeri007
Adventurer
can't agree more. Palmer is the one who got the ball rolling and he deserves all credit for that.

i wonder where Cybereality stands in all this, he was there from day 1 with Palmer, but isn't an employee of Oculus as far as i can tell from the forum ? So i wonder about his involvement in the whole process :smile: 

if i would get the chance to see Palmer in real life, i guess i would need to fall on my knees and kiss his magical flip flops out of gratitude :wink:   (Just kidding :smiley:  )

ECBL
Protege

Sloeri007 said:

i wonder where Cybereality stands in all this, he was there from day 1 with Palmer, but isn't an employee of Oculus as far as i can tell from the forum ? So i wonder about his involvement in the whole process :smile: 

Perhaps Cyber could clarify.  I thought he was in fact employed by Oculus.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
aye PL (and friends) do seem to be the guys responsible for finally getting VR to stick and no matter what happens going forward I will always respect him for that.
Whether the sands of time mean oculus ends up as a footnote in VR or a continuing major driver, who knows.

Right now tho, I do wish oculus had partnered with valve, as it looked like they would at 1 point and not facebook but that ship seems to have sailed (maybe not tho, if facebook gets bored and sell up oculus maybe they will merge 1 day???)

The danger is oculus and palmer lucky end up like Sir Clive Sinclair and Sinclair research (childhood hero of mine)  ie a fantastic inventor with amazing ideas and ahead of his time, but who ultimately was generally pipped at the post to his ideas by other companies producing superior hardware which did not have the problems sinclair's products generally had..
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Clive Sinclair was my hero. From the smallest calculator of its kind at the time.. through the ZX computers.. and the pocket TV. Trouble was he wasn't as good a businessman as he was an inovator.. the TV lost money and the QL which would have been way ahead of its time suffered appalling delays. Still released ahead of the Macintosh though  if I remember correctly.... & the QL followed the C5 which is good for nostalgia but not much else.

Still a hero though.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
My first computer was a ZX81 (with 16K ram upgrade pack)  followed by the ZX Spectrum 48K. Good times. Many a late night was spent playing games when I should have been sleeping for school the next day.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

If it was not for Palmer Luckey, I would not be eagerly awaiting my first VR experience. Would there be this large expansion of VR content as well as headsets with out his Love for VR? I do not think so. Someone else would have started it for sure, but we would not be this far along with hardware or content with out his kickstarter. The VR express is loading up and I want to be on-board. Lets see what great and wonderful places it will take us!

My vocal minority thoughts,  what are yours?

I don't think you're the vocal minority, I think you're actually the silent majority!

Most of us are very happy with Oculus, our Rifts (if we have them) and think Luckey is an okay guy. The real vocal minority are the ones blasting Luckey on Reddit and kicking/screaming their orders are a few weeks late. 🙂

Personally, I like Luckey. He seems like a stand up guy who is just a bit over his head PR wise. He doesn't have the business experience people like John Carmack do. Luckey is still trying to be Luckey (AKA a regular human being like the rest of us) and the angry vocal minority is blasting him for it, every time he is even the tiniest bit wrong or something can be misconstrued to make it appear he's wrong.

PR at this level is a talent that takes years of practice, I still struggle with it but I feel I do a pretty decent job. But I'm also a small time little one man indie dev, my fan base is less than 50,000, where as the VR fan base as a whole is in the millions. But from a personal standpoint, I feel Luckey is doing the absolute best he can do, and he's actually doing a great job. The vocal minority is just, frankly, being assholes to him.

Rayvolution
Heroic Explorer

ECBL said:

Sloeri007 said:

Perhaps Cyber could clarify.  I thought he was in fact employed by Oculus.

Or @cybereality is secretly Luckey .. the plot thickens!

cybereality
Grand Champion
You guys are funny. I most certainly am an employee of Oculus. I started right before the DK1 started shipping, when the team was much much smaller. And I was involved with Palmer on the forum from before that. Palmer even sent me some of the first prototype headsets he was building pre-Rift, so I've been involved since the beginning.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV