cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot pair Quest 2 controllers or headset during initial set-up

RetroRocker
Protege

Meta sent me a replacement headset since the headphone jack on my original died.  Great, right?  Unfortunately, not.  

When I try to run initial set-up, the headset will not pair with my controllers and it stays stuck on the remove controller tabs screen.  When I try to pair the headset with the Android app, it shows that it found the pairing code but asks me to connect to wifi and update the software, which I cannot do without the controllers.  

I opened a ticket 2 weeks ago and have followed all the instructions they gave me, including several factory resets using the power button and volume down key.  I tried uninstalling the app and clearing all cache, including bluetooth. I also tried pressing the home button and B button to pair.  All it does it vibrate, and show the led lights, but nothing happens afterwards.

I've asked if there is a way to sideload the firmware update using my Link cable, but received no response.  So now my Quest 2 is a paperweight.

Anyone know if there is a fix or a way to sideload the firmware?  

31 REPLIES 31

Hello,

I sent in a working headset whose only issue is that it stopped charging to 100%.  Meta kindly allowed for it to be returned for a repair even though I purchase it in October of 2021.  Okay. Great! But I sent in a perfectly working headset and received, today, one that will not connect to my controllers. 
I was on "chat" with support and wasted a half hour of my Sunday. Then I arranged for a call and the same things. 

It's been at least 3 weeks since this has been a known issue. Meta is a major tech company that should have had a firmware fix by now.  I asked for my original headset to be returned since that actually worked!  Should all of us receive some compensation? Or a working headset? Or a fix?  What is the ETA of the fix?  How long are we expected to wait?  That is not a rhetorical question. I think it's a pretty fair one. Please give us an answer. 

Same here. Only thing wrong with my old headset is that the headphone jack was not working.  I was still able to use it with the built in speakers. The replacement they sent would not pair with the controllers in order to update firmware.  I honestly think they are trying to coerce people into buying a new headset. Very unethical and possibly illegal tactic. 

I think they fired all the Oculus team members and have no idea how to fix this.  There is a firmware fix but you would have to be pretty tech savvy to do it.  And they can't tell ordinary people, like me, to start loading firmware using "side load" found on the menu when you press the Off button and the volume button on the low side. I am thoroughly angry at this point. I may have to hire an mac tech person to help me. I may try it myself. Have nothing to lose. 

Well people, wish me luck! After receiving this response to my inability to pair my replacement Quest 2, I'm going to try the solution found here. I'm definitely not tech savvy, but apparently this is my only chance of solving the problem. 

Screenshot_20220927-192016_Chrome.jpg

I'm a bit nervous to try this. But this is the same fix I read about. I guess I'd rather just wait but I might get fed up enough to try it. 🙂 Kudos for posting this as it's def the only "fix" I've found. Sad that it didn't even come from Oculus, but some guy needing to go to his fellow techsavvy buddies for the work around. 

What honestly makes me the most agitated about this is Meta is attempting to push this whole "Metaverse" thing as being highly accessible, something anyone in the family can get on board with even non techsavvy mom and pops. And then in their brilliance...  have essentially rolled out an update that has a pretty big logic flaw bricking their $400 dollar hardware until they get around to fixing it (great job Oculus engineers, maybe you need a bit more testing before launching and update... I feel like anyone in their testing department could have picked up a factory reseted headset to test linking to the app).

So now... consumers... paying customers, need to do Meta job for them... and use your type of solution (which I promise you only tech savvy folks will do) and then everyone else will sit their now non working controller in the corner... likely never to be picked up again. 

I'd expect this sort of thing from some small time company that doesn't have the capital to invest in the solutions to these issues... but not from a billion dollar company. It's just silly. lol /rant 

Follow the step by step guide and you’ll have no real issues. The only thing extra I had to do was download something called “powershell7” as my laptop was acting itself and wouldn’t keep the command prompt window open.

I did it and it worked!! I definitely need a couple margaritas now but if anyone needs help with any steps, let me know! 

I just did the fix this morning and it works. I'm definitely not a techie but I was still able to figure it out! 

Alex, Congratulations. Did you do this on a Mac computer?  it would help to know.  If so, maybe if I need help you could help me. I live in NYC. Are you in the States.  I will send you a bottle of Patron!

You can do the fix on both Mac and windows pc/laptop.