cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 detected, but no display

SilverlightPony
Honored Guest
My DK2 was working with the release software (runtime 1.3) for a while (I got a few hours into Adrift, love that game so far)

But now when I open the Oculus software, I can't get any video signal to the HMD (light stays orange), despite it showing as properly connected in Settings > Devices.

The only change I made was to add an HDMI extension and move the USB connections to a hub so it'll reach a more comfortable seat to play from.

Any idea what's going on?
8 REPLIES 8

cybereality
Grand Champion

The only change I made was to add an HDMI extension and move the USB connections to a hub so it'll reach a more comfortable seat to play from.

Either of those things could easily be the problem.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SilverlightPony
Honored Guest

Either of those things could easily be the problem.

I don't use my actual computer desk much these days what with the nice big 60" 4k TV in my living room connected to the comp by a 15' HDMI cable, so unless I can get the Rift working in the living room, I'm just gonna pack it up and go back to non-VR gaming until my CV1 gets here.  There's no good reason why the Rift should not work in this configuration, so give me some actual suggestions or kindly go away.

Anywho, I tried uninstalling the Rift software, rebooting, then reinstalling it.  After the install, in the initial connection phase, the software first showed an HDMI error for the HMD, which was turned off at the time.  I turned it on, and the error was replaced by the spinning wheel of aggravation on both the HDMI and USB for the HMD.  Meanwhile, the sensor USB is giving a Caution indicator and claiming it's connected to a USB 2.0 port, when in fact it's connected to a self-powered USB 3.0 hub (and yes, the hub is plugged into a 3.0 port on the computer).

cybereality
Grand Champion
DK2 was always sort of flaky with using extenders. Hubs should be OK, but they need to be powered. If they aren't powered, they may not have enough juice for the headset.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

SilverlightPony
Honored Guest

DK2 was always sort of flaky with using extenders. Hubs should be OK, but they need to be powered. If they aren't powered, they may not have enough juice for the headset.

Like I already said, it's a powered hub.

Just for troubleshooting purposes, I moved everything back over to connect directly to the computer.  The Oculus software is still showing exactly the same as the image above.  DAFUQ.

SilverlightPony
Honored Guest
Okay, I skipped through the "setup your Rift" phase on the Oculus software, replugged the HDMI (for like the sixth time), and we have signal.  Primary troubleshooting complete.  Now to test it with the extensions again.

Secondary troubleshooting:  USB type mis-detection.  Also, it says my Asmedia USB drivers need updating, but Windows says they're up to date.  😕

SilverlightPony
Honored Guest
OKAY

I DUNNO WHAT I DID THAT MADE A DIFFERENCE, BUT IT'S WORKING.

I actually have two 15' HDMI extensions.  One will reach the sofa, but just barely.  I was hoping to use both of them to have some more slack, but it just will not work with both of them on the line.  It IS working with just the one, though.

Still no clue why it's detecting the USBs as 2.0 instead of 3.0.  I mean, the DK2 doesn't even *have* 3.0 connectors, does it?  So why does it think it would know the difference?

Also no clue why it thinks my USB drivers aren't up to date.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The ASMedia USB driver you should install is here:
https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/42/3/1/WodJPah7ECKFSsxv/41/

The consumer software checks for USB, even though DK2 is much more forgiving than the CV1 is. In general, DK2 should be on a USB 2.0 port for best compatibility.

In terms of the extenders. 15 ft is pushing it. Two 15 ft cables is probably too much.

SilverlightPony
Honored Guest
I ordered a 20'-er a few minutes ago in the hopes that it will work and give me that extra bit of slack.  Length aside, the single 15' one is working great (now that it's working *at all*).  I've got a feeling it's more the number of connections the signal has to jump through than the length (with good-quality cables, at least).