cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known Issue - Cannot pair Replacement Quest Headset with the Oculus App

DominatorVIP
Adventurer

Hello all,

I recently got a brand new Oculus Quest via RMA, and I'm in the process of updating it. However, I'm having some issues trying to pair the new Headset with the app. I have the Oculus Quest 1 (or the OG quest).

When I try to setup the headset inside the Oculus app, I get through the part asking me to plug in the Quest to power, turn it on, etc. After I put in the pairing code found inside the Quest (sometimes it automatically finds the pairing code, sometimes it doesn't, don't know why), it says "pairing to headset". After a minute or two it spits out an error saying it cannot connect to the headset. I've tried all the following troubleshooting:

• Factory Resetting the headset (even though it's brand new :/)
  • Uninstalling/Reinstalling the Oculus app
  • Trying the setup on multiple different devices
  • Turning bluetooth & location off and on again, along with checking the app has proper permissions to use them on each of the devices I tried it on
  • Restarting the headset & devices

I don't know what's causing this. Is anyone else having this issue, and if so, is there any potential fixes for it? I already opened a ticket with Oculus Support and all I got as a response is "our developers are aware of the issue are are currently working on it" which could mean a lot or absolutely nothing judging by how you look at it. It looks like a LOT of other people are having this issue, so hopefully they fix whatever's causing it soon.

Cheers,

~ Dom

(EDIT: I posted a fix in the replies which appears to have fixed the issue for most. If it helped you at all, and you'd be so inclined, feel free to use my referral code, as when you (finally) activate your headset, we'll both get $30 of credit to use on whatever you want: https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/DominatorVIP/)

204 REPLIES 204

papa_sz
Honored Guest

I have the same issue, I have been patiently waiting 1 month, but still no updates from customer support.

same... been well over a month now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering, are there people having the pairing issue using an android phone? or is it Apple's iphone only? Might be an apple issue and not meta one and that's why maybe meta (after a month+) can't figure this out

Well I got mine fixed. I sideloaded version 43 of the oculus and the pairing worked. I think after you can update it to version 46

I tried iphone and a Samsung Galaxy. No go. I sent the #$!$ thing back. No Red Matter 2 for me.

Ghost3200
Honored Guest

Confirmed it is an issue with the firmware. I just received a new Quest 1 from a RMA. It would not pair with my phone or ipad. I followed the instructions from DominatorVIP:

1. Downloaded ADB. You have to download the "Android SDK Platform-Tools" from the Android website. Don't trust any other website besides the actual Android site.

2. Unzip it and run ADB from the CMD prompt

3. Download firmware version 31. I tried version 41 and it did not work for me. The key is finding the correct firmware package. I downloaded a couple I found from reddit but it did not work. The one that worked is in /oculusquest and posted by Basti564 labeled "Quest 1 v31 full update (for over v25)"

4. Sideload that firmware version using ADB. You will know it worked because the Quest 1 automatically reboots, you see the old style welcome screen and it pairs the controllers first.

It paired after that and is now updating to the latest version. I don't know why the firmware on the RMA quest 1 isnt compatible with the current oculus app.

Pretty sure it's a Headset Firmware issue and not a smartphone app issue. From the looks of things, people with both iphones and android devices alike are both having issues.

Not sure where my guide went to fix the issue, but if you look around in this thread you'll likely find my steps needed to fix the issue.

Pls, I need the link of the Google Drive I'm desperate I can't find any useful and RELIABLE version or tutorial 😞

I have tried with android (with one account) and iphone (with another account), but nothing works.
I have tried to install the V43 version of the firmere but I only geta message: "Total xfer: 1.00x".

Can someone help me. The only thing meta tells me is: "have 30$ that are useless if you don't have the glasses".

Help pls 😞

I have attempted this possible solution numerous times, and whatever the case may be, I am still unable to pair my headset with my phone. Meta Support has been unreliable, and I find the length of time this issue has been allowed to exist entirely unacceptable on many levels. Even *some* level of communication about the issue would be nice to have, but we can't even get that.