cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link not supplying power to Q2

Zandil
Rising Star

Ok so this just started the other day, my quest 2 will no longer charge via the Oculus link cable, and when I play PCVR the Q2 battery is discharging fast, I'm talking lost 40% charge in 10 mins.

After playing around I have found a strange issue, the link is plugged into the USB C on my MoBo and when checking power outputs for USB ports the Quest 2 port is showing 0 power output, yet the link cable works fine just stopped supplying power all of a sudden.

unsure if this is a software issue in my PC, It charges fine via a wall socket

So far, I unplugged everything from other USB ports, no luck

Plug my Pixel phone into the link cable and it gets a power reading of 896 mA

Tested in a USB 3 port and the Q2 shows 500mA

Tested on another USB c-c in same USB C port and same issue 0 power output

Mobo is only 3 months old ROG Strix B550-F Gaming

if anyone knows a possible solution?

Updated with another test:

Using power cord that came with Q2, plugged into USB C port on back of PC, Phone plugged in reads 500mA, plug Q2 in and reads 0mA

252 REPLIES 252

yansag
Protege

So, is there a way to make the Oculus Charge AND play using Link or other Type C to Type C cable?

Cause mine isn't charging...it's charging if i use the charger...or if i use a Type A to Type C cable...but not Type C to Type C...FIX anyone please?! 😞

Some people have reported success with a stand alone USB-C PCIe card that is fed with additional power. 

What's wrong with using a USB a to c cable?

the type A cable that i have is a lot thicker and heavier and i don't like it as much as my other cable...and it only supply 896mA to the quest where as i was led to believe that the Type C port could do a lot more like 3A? is that right?

Can you recommend a good THIN and LIGHT Type A to Type C cable that can power the quest at least the 896mA and do good link too? thanks 🙂

I don't know if it would do that much, that would be 15W and is in the realm of the 18W of the fast charging of the stock charger and would likely lead to damage.

If you look up a couple of posts I linked to the cable I use. It has a power injector and will do 2A and offer near infinite play time.

I found it pretty flexible, it's definitely a lot more manageable than the cable that came with my reverb G2. 

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

Look at my post on page 21. I included a link to a USB extension cable what offers charging (using an included external power supply). I can pretty much play infinitely with this set up. Also, "thin" is the enemy of "long" when it comes to cables. You need a lot more copper in the cable (for a larger wire gauge) when you want to go longer/further. You can google that, resistance in cables, you'll see. Anyways... hope this helps.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

i see but wasnt that the point of those ''fibre optics'' Type C cable that are super think and light like the oculus link cable...what's good if we can't use them to play while charging?

Also, what is the difference in using a powered cable to get infinite play and using a Type C to get 3amps and play all night...you're gonna kill the battery much quicker in both situations no?

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

"fibre optics" is a gimmick. There's no fiber in the cable, and there's no light-emitters. USB all runs on copper wiring. The Link cable is 16 ft long, that's why it's "thin". You need an active cable to extend it beyond 16ft, and while you're at it, might as well add power as well, thus the cable link I posted earlier. The active/powered extension cable I mentioned in  my link is at least twice the thickness of my Link cable, and that makes sense, it needs to be (because of the distance it runs).

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

yansag_0-1655235794661.png

Hi there, how is this cable? it it thick and heavy? or is it slim and thin and light?

thanks...

The fiber optic cable was designed with flexibility and length in mind. Per the USB3 spec the max cable length is meant to be around 10-12 feet, so anything longer to remain in spec either needs to be some sort of active cable or fiber optic. 

But 16 feet isn't much longer and as long as its a quality cable in the real world you wont have a problem, that is why there are a lot of after market 16 feet cables that still work fine.

The cable I suggested has smart chip in it that monitors the battery level of the Quest 2, it's meant to keep it in the 80% range and only slowly charge it when it dips below that, this helps preserve the battery and also reduce heat from charging when it is in use.

Conversely the setup Bendit suggested could lead to damage to the battery in the long time since it just relies the providing constant higher amperage current to the Quest 2 without accounting for the current battery charge.

That is incorrect, honestly at this point it seems you don't really understand how everything works.

The official Meta cable does use fiber optics, it just converts the signal back to an electrical one at the plug, this is why for a USB C to C cable the plugs are very bulky.

Even Meta themselves spec it has optical with active conversion:

Full featured USB active optical cable. USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C

The reason the official one is optical, is because at 16 feet it exceeds the USB spec length for USB 3.2 cables (10 feet), since it is an official product they want to make sure it remains in spec.