cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M1 Mac + Parallels Desktop + OculusSetup(Error: cpu sse 4.2 support)

yedat
Honored Guest

Hi,

I'm running Parallels Desktop on an M1 Macbook. I installed windows 10, but after downloading Oculus PC Client, it gives a CPU not supported error. "Oculus requires a CPU with SSE 4.2 support". 

I have followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GUJ2Wf16s

but it hasn't helped.

I don't know if there are any solutions to running Oculus client on M1, but if anyone has any solutions please let me know! 

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

DragonLT87
Honored Guest

Hey, by any chance you figured it out? I am having the same issue.

Won't happen. M1 does not carry SSE instructions sets as it's ARM not i386/x64. Besides that the M1 is not at all close to recommended specs for PC VR

DragonLT87
Honored Guest

I think M1 is capable to play at least some of the vr games. I did install windows 11 ARM version and did run the VR performance test on steam where it gave the highest rating of capability to play vr games..However the oculus install doesnt finish the installation on it while the Windows of 10 gives the SSE error, so I am kind of stuck.

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 3.41.38 PM.png

Doesn't matter what you installed. One Windows 11 is not supported for Oculus and does not work at all without extremely poor performance and two it wouldn't matter if you had a Windows 10 ARM install, Oculus still needs SSE instructions which ARM does not Have

esummers
Honored Guest

I think the latest Insider build released translation support for SSE 4.2. Oculus software has always been picky about GPU hardware and any lag will be very noticeable in VR, so it might not work well even if it gets past installation. There may be some apps/games that also require AVX which will probably never be supported in translation. I believe Intel doesn't want to license those instructions for translation. There also is not DirectX 12 support currently, but Parallels says they are working on it. I assume that will require some changes to Apple Metal, so we probably wouldn't see it until a new OS is released.

I think Link/AirLink require AVX

It's possible to - at least - play the included demonstration apps in VR on an M1 now, using Virtual Desktop.  Performance is sub par, but perhaps an M1 Pro, Max, Ultra or an M2 can apply some brute force to the problem and make it acceptable. 

Now working (a bit): PC VR with Meta Quest 2, Parallels and Virtual Desktop on M1 / Apple Silicon

Don't expect it to ever be acceptable for games, you're running a virtual desktop on top of a virtual machine and an M1 ultra or whatever have you isn't going to take extremely sub par on basic apps to acceptable for games. 

even the guy working on it said it's not going to be adequate for games at all at any point because it's translating x86 to ARM while running a VM and a Virtual GPU.

It's a nice show of possibility, but without real arm support it's not just going to be feasible 

I don't believe you read the post properly, as there was a bit in there which was more-or-less aimed squarely at  you.  Here it is, for convenience 😉

"Note: I am extremely aware this is not a sensible thing to try for actual gaming, that the performance will be inadequate due to translating the software for ARM, and running in a Virtual Machine with a virtual GPU. However, that discussion has been done to death by naysayers in other threads over the last two years. I'm here simply to tell you that I've been able to achieve it, to some degree, and for some of us it's just a fun exercise to make it work at all. Don't be a buzzkill!"

So, you're not saying anything that hasn't been said before and we don't already know.  Sometimes it's just fun and interesting to noodle around without necessarily trying to compete with a gaming PC… we don't all have the same goals.