cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Black Screen

owenlopez
Explorer
So as described my headset, has a black screen of death as people put it online. When hard resting my headset , I will get the oculus symbol and audio for boot up, after the logo there is no loading triple dots it just goes to a black screen. If I tap the power button when on the black screen it will make the audio of going back into standby mode and tapping again makes the audio noise for waking back up. So my next step was Factory reset with Power Button and Volume down button, the menu worked is say's erasing boots up again then same thing back to the black screen. I've tried doing a sideload of an update this still does not bring back video. 

I don't know how this possibly happens. I played it maybe a week ago showed a friend sports vr demo then put it back on the box it came in plugged into the charger, then went out to the field for a week ( army stuff ) come back from the field put on the headset it woke up but it was just lighted back black backround, so i restarted it and now this problem has started. I've had the headset for less then two months. I've contacted Oculus support auto-mated response came back in  saying they will get back to me within 2 business days. Sadly I'm thinking this will be a return back to an Oculus repair center, it really feels like it should not be I very much feel this is a software problem. I hope someone can help me figure out a fix.
40 REPLIES 40

Tzachy
Honored Guest
same problem 😧

zoley
Honored Guest
same problem, actually in  4 months I was able to use the device twice - otherwise always had some problems

RIPspino96
Honored Guest
mine won't charge or turn on

ZekeSermeno
Honored Guest
Have any of you had these problems resolved? If so, how? Does Oculus help?

briandunaway
Honored Guest
I am having the same or similar issue. It looks to be a proximity sensor (the sensor on the 'inside' of the headset between the two lenses.) I can place my finger over the sensor and the screen will come on. Of course this is useless as I cannot play with my finger between the headset and my face. I put in a support ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find a resolution to this problem. It's actually SUPER simple...
I wish i could have find this information in the release notes...

Unity and XR Plugins don't update "Oculus" to the proper version. Go to package manager, and chose the latest oculus version. The latest verified version is 1.2.0 (black screen) while the latest available is 1.4.3 (perfectly working with integration 20.0). Just click the update button and VOILA.
f5ev072f1q76.png
I hope it helps !

owenlopez
Explorer
Hello everyone I almost forgot about this, I got in touch with Oculus, we tried everything under the sun to get it back to a working condition. They ended up sending me a shipping label to print out and send it back to them. I then mailed my headset to them and once they received it and verified that it was not broken or damaged because of my own doing they sent me a refurbished one. The refurbished one pretty much looked brand new, and in the box i received a new link cable and another face mask. So that was really cool now I have to face mask and 2 link cables! This all actually happened very quickly as well I received the next headset i believe within a week or 2 the process was quick and easy. If  they decide to send you that shipping label, make sure you pay attention to the shipping instructions in the email. They asked for it to be packed in a very weird way haha so make sure you pay attention to detail. But some good news just a couple hours ago the Quest 2 just got announced so hopefully all the problems we've been experiencing on the original quest have been ironed out 😄 

dave.gravel1
Explorer
Take a look in the experimental menu options, Look if the option for real camera is enabled.
If yes disable it, Here it cause the black screen problem when the oculus wakeup from the sleep mode.

The_Builders
Honored Guest

I find a resolution to this problem. It's actually SUPER simple...
I wish i could have find this information in the release notes...

Unity and XR Plugins don't update "Oculus" to the proper version. Go to package manager, and chose the latest oculus version. The latest verified version is 1.2.0 (black screen) while the latest available is 1.4.3 (perfectly working with integration 20.0). Just click the update button and VOILA.
f5ev072f1q76.png
I hope it helps !

Hi thomas, can you specify how you get to this "package manager"?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought two of these from Costco one for my wife and I and I'm having the same problem with one of them. 
I have tried everything and Oculus isn't much help, so I will be returning this one to Costco. 
It looks like they haven't worked all the bugs out of the Quest 2 yet, super frustrating because I have wasted many hours trying to fix something only a few days old.