cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link and airlink issues for laptops with integrated AMD graphics card + NVIDIA dedicated GPU

iamgeorge82
Explorer

Like many others I have been experiencing severe issues with oculus link and more so with both link and airlink since v28. I've gotten some way in understanding the issues and causes, and wanted to share here for the benefit of other users AND THE OCULUS DEVELOPMENT TEAM - who I hope can quickly address the issues.

My system is an ASUS Zephyrus ROG G14, AMD Ryzen 9 with integrated AMD Radeon Graphics + an NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB + 16GB RAM

I am using an oculus quest 2 updated to v28

My issue: Pre v28 oculus link would connect but with major stutter and crashes linked to oculus software utilising the wrong GPU (not listed as running on the NVIDIA). Since 28 both link and airlink launch to a black screen then after a few seconds crash back to the oculus home screen (not in link). DEVS - PLEASE NOTE THE THIRD PARTY VIRTUAL DESKTOP APP WORKS FLAWLESSLY. YOU CANNOT CLAIM THIS ISSUE IS CAUSED BY MY LAPTOP OR EVEN THE OCULUS HARDWARE. THE PERFECT FUNCTIONING OF THE THIRD PARTY SOLUTION MEANS THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR SOFTWARE.

After much searching online I found a process to get things working at least to the previous levels:

1. Disable my integrated AMD graphics card
  2. Then launch link/airlink
  3. Re-enable the AMD GPU – this causes air-link/link to drop again
  4. Re-launch Link/airlink
  5. This has to be done after every PC restart.

This gets it working but performance is still horrible.

OCULUS are not the only devs with this issue - I actually found this solution because it is the same fix which solves an issue with the steam version of Doom64 not working (not VR, standard desktop game). My guess is that both pieces of software are doing some test for presence of a suitable GPU, are finding the not suitable onboard GPU then giving up, hence disabling the onboard GPU solves the issue. 

I think Oculus, AMD and Microsoft need to get together and sort this asap.

16 REPLIES 16

marioml13
Honored Guest

Hi George, in which settings do you play using Virtual Desktop with that beast (AMD Ryzen 9 with integrated AMD Radeon Graphics + an NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB + 16GB RAM), medium-max? max?.

Thanks in advance!

So with those specs for the PC the limiting factor becomes the wifi connection (because the PC is doing all the work, the oculus is largely just a display with virtual desktop). With a 5ghz wifi connection from the oculus to the router and a wires Ethernet connection from the router to the laptop I can have everything at max. Despite it not being recommend I can have the laptop and the oculus on the 5ghz wifi and get away with medium graphics with minimal stutter but will depend on your setup (even down to the material your walls are made of if you are not in the same room as the router)

Thank you so much George!

Zonyl
Explorer

I am having the same issue with Razer 14" laptop with Radeon and RTX 3070.   Air and USB link both fail.   The oculus app even reports my Ryzen 9 5800HS / RTX 3070 doesnt meet the needed performance specs!

Im thinking what happens with the solution above is that when you disable the AMD, windows reverts to using its generic video driver (the nvidia isnt active).

On my machine I think what Windows does when you disable the AMD is that it indeed reverts to the standard Microsoft video driver for the main display but then pushes any graphics processing straight to the Nvidia which is why whatever test the Oculus is running is then passed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lenovo Legion 5

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 8c 12t 2.90GHz

16GB 3200MHz

GPU 0 - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

GPU 1 - AMD Radeon Graphics

Exact steps work for me to get Oculus Link to work

1. Disable my integrated AMD graphics card
  2. Then launch link/airlink
  3. Re-enable the AMD GPU – this causes air-link/link to drop again
  4. Re-launch Link/airlink
  5. This has to be done after every PC restart.

Oculus Link works

Steam VR will not load any but black grid map area

Launch steam game from PC - Game is to laggy to play

Anonymous
Not applicable

In Lenovo Vantage app disable Hybrid mode - reboot required

Info from:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/nuqx9v/how_to_get_lenovo_legion_5_rtx_2060_to_work_wit...

If you have fn-Q, set it to Red - My 10 cent

Steam VR will still not launch properly but steam games will

SUPERHOT VR worked with no lag

Air Link works with router and mobile hotspot on laptop

dryhiow
Explorer

Since I have the exact same laptop as you I want to share my experience in trying to fix this issue. To fix oculus trying to use the integrated GPU, first open up Armoury  crate, once you open that select windows mode at the bottom, next go to Nvidia control panel and select Auto select for preferred GPU. Last hit the windows key and search for graphics settings, once you get there scroll down to "Choose an app to set preference" click browse first find OVRSerer_x64.exe, add that, then find OculusClient.exe, add that aswell, you should be able to find the file location for both with a simple google search as I did. Last find the two added files below the browse button, click on both and then options and set it to high performance. After you have done that you should be able to launch the oculus home without having to disable the integrated GPU, running smoothly if you did it correctly.

P.S. If you are planning on playing games from steam, you more than likely will face the same problem as I did where the games actually end up trying to use the integrated GPU as well, to fix this you do the same thing first go to C: drive>Program files(x86)>Steam>Steamapps>Common>(the game your wanting to play) and in said folder find the .exe file, add that and do the steps from before.

My system is AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX 16GB RAM with integrated AMD Radeon Graphics + NVIDIA RTX 3060 6GB.

This method doesn't work for me. The only way is to disable my integrated AMD graphics card in Device Manager, I don't know if it's because my computer don't have Graphics Processing Unit Direct. it's so inconvenient 😞