cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link and airlink issues for laptops with integrated AMD graphics card + NVIDIA dedicated GPU

iamgeorge82
Explorer

Like many others I have been experiencing severe issues with oculus link and more so with both link and airlink since v28. I've gotten some way in understanding the issues and causes, and wanted to share here for the benefit of other users AND THE OCULUS DEVELOPMENT TEAM - who I hope can quickly address the issues.

My system is an ASUS Zephyrus ROG G14, AMD Ryzen 9 with integrated AMD Radeon Graphics + an NVIDIA RTX 2060 6GB + 16GB RAM

I am using an oculus quest 2 updated to v28

My issue: Pre v28 oculus link would connect but with major stutter and crashes linked to oculus software utilising the wrong GPU (not listed as running on the NVIDIA). Since 28 both link and airlink launch to a black screen then after a few seconds crash back to the oculus home screen (not in link). DEVS - PLEASE NOTE THE THIRD PARTY VIRTUAL DESKTOP APP WORKS FLAWLESSLY. YOU CANNOT CLAIM THIS ISSUE IS CAUSED BY MY LAPTOP OR EVEN THE OCULUS HARDWARE. THE PERFECT FUNCTIONING OF THE THIRD PARTY SOLUTION MEANS THIS IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR SOFTWARE.

After much searching online I found a process to get things working at least to the previous levels:

1. Disable my integrated AMD graphics card
  2. Then launch link/airlink
  3. Re-enable the AMD GPU – this causes air-link/link to drop again
  4. Re-launch Link/airlink
  5. This has to be done after every PC restart.

This gets it working but performance is still horrible.

OCULUS are not the only devs with this issue - I actually found this solution because it is the same fix which solves an issue with the steam version of Doom64 not working (not VR, standard desktop game). My guess is that both pieces of software are doing some test for presence of a suitable GPU, are finding the not suitable onboard GPU then giving up, hence disabling the onboard GPU solves the issue. 

I think Oculus, AMD and Microsoft need to get together and sort this asap.

16 REPLIES 16

awsomenes150
Protege

If I may add my two cents.

I have a laptop I use for flat screen gaming(VR is PC). there is a setting in the Control Panel that you can toggle performance, balanced, or power saver. My games would always kick over to the integrated graphics until I switched it to running performance mode. 

I hope this helps at least some of the issues.

Hi there, so good to read about people with the same issues. For me this solution works for most of the VR games. thx for sharing it. Sadly for minecraft or vivecraft it does not work. Did you also have a solution for vivecraft? Vivecraft, minecraft or java still show its magic on my notebook desktop in place of the Ocolus and steam vr just saying waiting for java. If I deactivate the powerfull gpu and use the less powerfull it works, but you cannot play it, its to laagy. Glad to hear from anyone. 

Here I was thinking I was some kind of 1337 haxxor for realising I needed to disable the onboard video.  Even though I've only tried it in a room a long way from the router, and I've only got a GTX 1650 (ostensibly not supported) in my humble ASUS TUF laptop, your fix has made Airlink work for me.

Performance might even improve a bunch when I move things around a bit.

glad to have helped.

Thanks very much for this

It worked great for me.

I have the ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 SE, and your steps worked great.

Zephlar
Explorer

How are we in April 2023 and they still haven't fixed this? I have two Asus Nitro w 3070's and this is an issue with both. That's insane to me they have done nothing about this as a META investor it kind of upsets me.

Hey there, @Zephlar! We can definitely understand your concerns with the Quest Link compatibility with your GPU, we'd be glad to look into this and see if we can help! Please reach out to us through the Meta Store Support website. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!