cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus quest 2 goes to sleep in a few minutes

isingo
Explorer
I'm trying to watch Amazon Prime Video on Oculus quest 2.
But after a few minutes of watching the video, the screen goes black.
After that, by pressing the power button, the screen turns on and the Video starts playing.
Perhaps it seems that not moving the head is causing a problem.
Not moving my head for a few minutes causes the same problem with the Oculus Home.

I changed the time to sleep setting to 4 hours, but it still goes to black.
After trying many things, I found that the only way to keep it from turning black was to keep moving my head.

I want to watch Video without moving.
Please let me know if you have any solutions.

67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still not solved as of 12/21/21 - worked through a lot of troubleshooting with support. No eta on resolution (likely because support doesn't have insight). Problem seems to be around not being able to detect movement from the controllers or the headset. We did a diagnostic log download and sent it with my support ticket. 

Here is what we tried in order:

- Tried tethered vs non-tethered - but still using the stand-alone menu so I can access the apps I want.

- Tried a full shutdown and hard shutdown after setting the auto-timeout to 4 hours.

- Got a screenshot of the auto-timeout functions in Home

- Tried factory reset

- Confirmed in a well lit area

- Confirmed not lying down - upright in chair.

- Confirmed that when I am watching I have the controllers placed on my lap - no longer in my hands. Controllers auto turn off.

Seeing this with any app where you are watching something and not actively moving around so much - so, Amazon Prime VR, YouTube VR, Guided Meditation VR are affected. I am using v35 - VR headset and handsets are up to date.

Potential dev solutions COULD be:

- Add a "Never" option to the auto-sleep dropdown.

- Allow the app to control auto-sleep functions

- Whitelist internally, certain apps where this could occur where it can be verified by the dev team in the app submission process and flagged to override auto-sleep when using the app.

q22
Honored Guest

I am having this same issue as well, it went away for a while but is back in full force. All I can figure is it has something to do with the battery saving feature that blacks out the displays as soon as you take off the headset. If I sit still for a few minutes in vr I guess the proximity sensor looses signal. Its like taking a dump in a bathroom with motion sensor lights and they keep turning off. If I remember right there was a setting to stop the headset from turning the display off instantly but it seems to have gone away.

Its bad enough that I want to change headsets brand because several times a week I watch movies and relax in vr and its jarring to hear the sound and have the screens go black after just a few minutes. I have all the timeout settings I can find set to max and the displays still turn off as soon as I take the headset off. I wish there was an option to disable  the sensor completely since I use the headset strictly for pcvr with a power cable plugged in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still so, it hasn't been resolved

I feel like Oculus needs to be more transparent with consumers. Up until this Christmas, I'm sure the market share for VR was mostly gamers. That really changed this Christmas. Gamers can deal with a lot of frustration. You try to give these kinds of silly frustrations to a mother who just purchased her child a unit for Christmas and that's another story. Do they know how long it took me to get my mother to even upgrade to a smart phone? And the amount of old memes I had to endure once she understood how to use it? 

Really, I feel like this is the 'sunlight issue'. They just say "Yo, don't take it out in the sunlight, it's bad," but don't give an actual reason why. The reason seems to be the optical lenses and burning the resolution. Seems like they could have just put that in the warning instead. So I feel like the "Never put to sleep" feature was removed because it only takes one idiot to ruin things for the rest. I started doing the 'headstrap method' to keep the Oculus on, which worked for a couple days, but I imagine the sensor just doesn't even know what it's sensing anymore. It was also quite apparent how hot my Oculus ran just sitting there. I imagine this isn't a problem for someone just watching Netflix and moving resolution. I wonder now if a bunch of people didn't just end up leaving their headset on overnight by accident and caused it to overheat/return to Meta. Still, it seems like the simple solution is just to make actual menu settings functional (I'll give them the 'experimental tab' since the name says it all). If I put my thing to not sleep for an hour, just make my headset not go to sleep for an hour. Instead, they lack transparency and for %95 of the issues I've had, recommend a factory reset. Like, no. I shouldn't have to 'factory reset' my unit every time your OS doesn't agree with itself. 

ReikaReika
Honored Guest

2 years after the original issue and... nothing? Really making it hard for me to recommend the Quest 2 to anyone getting into VR.

The auto-sleep options don't change a thing. It always turns off precisely after 1 minute of not moving. This is all sorts of frustrating to me, and it seems I'm not the only one by far.

Another weird thing is its not consistent at all. Just last night I fell asleep with the headset on for multiple hours and it never shut down.

There's too many unknown factors. Were your controllers moving while asleep? I tried attaching them to my pockets but the headset still shut off. I can't get saved media off shared account. I now put the headset on backwards as it registers being on the head. It runs super friggen hot just running the YT browser. The app doesn't seem to have an upload function. Obviously this sort of fix won't help your current situation. But it's all been enough for me to make a YT vid on the state of my Oculus. I hear that things DO get fixed, but then broken after the next update and never addressed again.

Oh that's interesting. I asked the rep if there was a head strap sensor or something that detects if it's on your face and they said no. It only motion detection by a gyro, the cameras, and remotes. I really think it has to do with what you connect the device to and the settings you set for the device externally. Something isn't lining up / adding up. But I'm not about to keep product testing for them... That's not my responsibility as a consumer. Just figuring if we make enough noise it, they will prioritize what I think is one of their biggest flaws... If they have the specs and created the hardware, shouldn't be too hard to figure out what the problem is and patch it.

Oh I totally agree. I've agreed since Nintendo got rid of Game Testers and we started becoming the Testers for free with second day 20GB updates. We couldn't really complain since you get those important first day viral views. There's just so much that I can't fathom with this though. They just sold like 7 million units over the holidays. Are they just going to tell 7 million users to "factory reset" or essentially "deal with it".

TraumaDeluxe
Explorer

I found a solution that worked for myself and others. This issue had quite literally been plaguing me for weeks. I have been on multiple forums and even opened a help ticket with the oculus customer service. I still couldn't get an answer that worked for me.  I did a factory reset and reloaded all my apps....twice aaand nope that was also a bust. None of these things helped and the problem persisted. I noticed that people in forums talked about if you moved your head or you continued to move the controller that the headset would not go to sleep. After much trial and error, I found the solution that works. At least this has worked for me and continues to work. 

Turn on the headset. Pair the headset with your phone using the Oculus phone app, but don't cast to your phone screen.  Now using the Oculus app unpair both controllers. Power down the headset and then power it back up.  Now pair the headset with your phone again using the Oculus phone app, but don't cast to your phone screen.  Then resync each controller. Yup, I know it sounds ridiculously easy but it's just that simple. After I did that, I haven't had any issues with my headset going to sleep while watching Netflix, YouTube, Prime, or even using the Tripp app.  Let me know if this worked for you.