cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 right controller paired and connected but not working

KirisuteG
Honored Guest

The left controller works perfectly but the right one is paired and "connected" but it won't show up on screen and nothing works except for the Oculus button, it doesn't work if i press it but if I hold it the headset will detect it and reset the view, sometimes it's after 2 seconds and up to 5 seconds after I hold it, nothing else in the controller works. 

I left the headset turned off and controller without battery overnight, after i turned both on in the morning the controller connected and it worked perfectly for about 5 seconds and stopped working again, same happened after i performed the factory reset 10 minutes after this, the controller connected and worked perfectly for about 5 seconds and started acting up again with the same issues. 

The message "right controller not connected" keeps popping up but sometimes it only shows up for half a second and immediately disappears. 

This is a video of the controller's light, it keeps blinking at erratic times, sometimes it barely flashes: 

I already tried: 

• Replacing the batteries  
  • Unpairing and re-pairing to the headset 
  • Leaving the controller without energy overnight 
  • Turning off and on the headset 
  • Looking for a software update (no updates available) 
  • Performing a factory reset. 
36 REPLIES 36

Great work! I hope this works for others just as well as it has you. Let us know if you try this!

Genesis does what Nintendon't! Send me a DM if you have questions. I'm happy to help!

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried this originally but I thought I would try it again since your post in case I missed anything. Still no joy there for me on my right controller. Thank you anyway for trying to help. 

monkeyz218
Honored Guest

So I had the same issue with my left controller. I saw a video where a guy used a small piece of tinfoil to extend the battery and it worked. May try that.

https://youtu.be/dSu0aJmPBE0

ramseyg
Honored Guest

thank you so much that workedd perfectly 

Hey there, @ramseyg! We're glad to hear that the issue was resolved! If there's ever anything else we can help out with or if you have any questions that we could answer, please feel free to contact us again! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

fairoakchase
Honored Guest

Just wanna post to say I had the exact issue and the above worked perfectly, thanks!

MetaVR_HY
Honored Guest

I brought 7 Oculus Quest 2 for an outdoor activity of my company. None of them worked. All of the right controllers were dead, though the left controllers were functioning. I found the solution in staying away from direct sun light. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no, good thing you were informed that they work better in darker lighting. We definitely appreciate you adding this advice to this thread! 🙂

Meloman_avs
Explorer

I see this is a fairly common trouble with controllers, and the right controller breaks more often that the left one. It looks like it just can't withstand strong shaking. And because the most of people are righties, the right controllers break more often. Another hypothesis is that sweat gets inside the controller, however it seems less likely.

I have a similar issue. All buttons of my right controller work, but the headset doesn't track the position of the controller. Sometimes I see it in a place other than it actually is, sometimes I don't see it at all. And I'm afraid the only solution is to replace the controller with a new one. Looks like the controllers are expendable, and since I play table tennis a lot, I have to buy a new one every flew months. 😢

I wonder if Meta will increase the reliability of controllers in Quest 3?

I'm on my third right controller since I got my headset. I'm not sure why. I bought and use my Q2 mostly for the fitness apps. As it is advertised for fitness I was under the impression that the headset and controllers would be somewhat waterproof. I bought one new controller and Meta replaced one for me. I have since bought covers for the headset and controllers to help with moisture and I have fans blowing to help keep me cool! lol. So far so good.