cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Crashes are Caused by Audio Drivers

FlavoredWhistle
Explorer

I have had the Rift-S for years now and it has always had issues, it has never just worked, from everyone that I have spoken to, this seems to be the norm.

I have encountered many issues and most of them have been resolved. Support has sent me an entirely new Rift-S in the past (new box, new HMD, new controllers, cable, everything) and after this, they went on to replace both of my controllers at no cost to me, I even got myself one of those USB-3 PCIE cards. Still my headset crashes and I am not the only one in this situation. Recently I have encountered a cue as to what may be causing the crashes.

I decided to uninstall oculus and delete all oculus folders (under user/AppData) in preparation for a clean install and finally I had a crash free experience for a couple of days, it was wonderful, but my audio was not working right if at all, I also noticed my Mic was too loud and adjusting it did nothing, though SteamVR Audio worked great (aside from the microphone) I thought it must be the audio drivers so I ran the driver program in Oculus/Support folder, and my audio was suddenly fixed, but the crashes came back! I noticed in the console window of the game that I was playing that the crash event happened immediately after "Default Audio Driver Changed" whatever that means. I tried doing a clean re-install again, but it did not work this time, my oculus audio drivers work perfectly fine and the crashes look like they too are here to stay, since they are inseperable from one another.

Can someone from support look into this matter? From what I can tell, every single Rift-S owner is facing these same issues and we have all (support included) been through the ringer trying to get this headset to stop malfuntioning, I think we may be able to break new ground here if we start heading towards this direction. It makes sense that the issue would be software related because I have had my hardware replaced before, to no avail, and my evidence points, most obviously, specifically at the Oculus Audio Drivers.

I really enjoy my Rift-S when it works, it would be a shame if we never get to see it's full potential after all this effort.

24 REPLIES 24

MegaFailTron
Explorer

Still having many crashes, have explored usb power settings and disabled all software audio drivers and secured the plugs physically. It appears all i have left is to unplug audio on headset which i will try. There is very extensive usb power setting to look at and will vary for everyone and i am starting to belive this is still the main issue and unfortunatly Rich.mulugani , this leaves no one to sue as oculus cannot be accountable for all motherboards and thier audio configuration. On that subject what mainboards are you guys using? brand/socket ?

I am about to do more research but the plug you guys mention is not only for the audio, i belive it also powers the sensors in the halo!!! so you guys might not have the best tracking with this unpluged. if you remove the halo and halo padding you can see what i mean.

disregaurd, no sensors in halo! LOL , im over this issue tho guys.

jacqui.lk
Explorer

I use asus strix z370 e motherboard 

jacqui.lk
Explorer

I have tried a powered usb hub a pci card everything I can't get it to work it worked on my other pc though