cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Crashing and Disconnecting

ecki386
Explorer
Posting this again in the support section.

My headset was working perfectly fine for 4 days, and now after about 5-10 minutes of playing, my Rift S crashes. My screen will randomly go black, make a high-pitched beeping noise, the little white light turns orange, and then I start hearing static. After that, I'll get a notification saying my DisplayPort isn't connected, and then it will say the DisplayPort is connected again. Now I have to restart the Oculus software then plug my headset back in before it starts working again.

After looking for a fix, I've tried all of these methods and none of them work:

• Repairing/Reinstalling the Oculus software
  • Reinstalling SteamVR + my games
  • Checking if everything is up to date (GPU Drivers, Oculus software, SteamVR, Windows 10) and they are
  • Going on the Oculus settings and enabling Public Test Channel
  • Turning off my NVIDIA In-Game Overlay
  • Tried every other USB 3.0 port on my PC
  • Disabled USB selective suspend setting in the Windows Power Options
  • Unplugging all of my other USB devices
  • Checked that the DisplayPort wire connection in the headset is connected properly
  • Ran the Oculus software in Administrator
  • Ending OculusDash.exe and OVRServer_x64.exe in task manager
  • Turned off Power Saving mode in Device Manager for all of my USB ports

These are my specs:

GPU : RTX 2070

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Memory: 32GB DDR4-3600

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

15 REPLIES 15

Did you notice any pop-ups from Windows warning you that you had a power issue with the USB? I had one one time and that was it, then the video wouldn't stay "connected" but I don't think that was the real reason. I can't get through the setup phase and have updated everything, changed ports, checked connections, all that jazz (Oculus firmware update did update on the initial software setup so that was odd). 10 hours of my day has been wasted on this, so yes, I'm ordering a powered 3.0 splitter Edited - wasn't very clear the first time, exhausted over here

mahpasconnu
Honored Guest

I have the same issue, but im on a laptop and the crashes are totally randoms, it can crash after 10 minutes, 1 hour, or just when I start it, and the audio is a little bit broke. I tried to contact oculus but it doesnt help.

Hey there, mahpasconnu! We're sad to hear you're reporting that your device software is crashing randomly and that you have already contacted Oculus, to no avail. We were able to find your past tickets in our database and have seen that you have been attempting troubleshooting steps.

We want to help you further! If you could, please find the most recent email sent from us and reply to it, to open your case back up. If you can't find any, you may open another ticket if that is easier. We're here for you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Awesomehawk2021
Honored Guest

As far as i can tell all issues I've seen with rift s disconnecting, audio ex have been solved with powered usb splitters or expansions cards. hope this helps

minecartman010
Honored Guest
It is because the USB is not getting enough power, causing the Rift S to crash.
I've had this problem too, actually. What I did to fix it is (yes I know) buy a 3.0 Powered USB Hub off of Amazon and use that. I don't know much, but I think it gets power straight from your power supply making the Rift S get enough power. I have been searching for a year, and just now found this out.

(also I just have this copy and pasted because I don't wanna retype this all lol)

I bought a USB port adapter and it didn't work. I've owned this headset for three years and never has it not disconnected on me during an MSFS2020 flight. I paid about $1000 because I had to finance the Rift S and it has never worked right one time. Oculus support is asinine and doesn't work. And you will pay hell trying to get them to send you a new cord or replacement headset so don't even bother asking. And now since they know the Rift S is a ripoff POS, they don't even bother trying to fix it or give any support now.