cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tilted view

kingschiebi
Protege
Hi,

I notice that the default view plane within the CV1 is tilted to the left for me, as if there was a sensor reporting gravitational force wrong. The angle seems small, but still noticeable even in the default menu where the horizon line does not match up with the real world horizon.

I looked at some of the logs, but did not find anything indicating an error. Also unplugged the headset, plugged it into different ports on the other GPU, switched USB and reinstalled the software as well as recalibrated it.
Also tried moving the sensor camera around, but that does not seem to impact the horizon line rotation.

Maybe I am going crazy, but I am certain that the tilt was not present after the first setup.
Is there a way to do a full reset of the headset and/or force a firmware update or any other troubleshooting option that I may have missed?

Thanks!
160 REPLIES 160

elboffor
Consultant
It's hidden in the support pages. Let me Hunt it down

Edit.
They may have removed it. I'll look again when on my pc, but I definitely got it myself from there. It gave full instructions how to use it also.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

sgi2000
Explorer
Strange that they removed it. I have the same tilt issue and the Calibration Tool reduced it to half of the original tilt. I have some additional advices: the top surface of the Rift is curved, so it will lean on one side. You should put something under it, so that Rift is parallel to the floor.
But in my case I'm going to artificially tilt rift to the side during calibration to remove that remaining tilt.

mattnewport
Protege
Support sent me the calibration tool but it didn't fix the problem for me. I think it may have reduced the tilt slightly but it definitely didn't eliminate it. This is very much still a problem.

markypea
Explorer
Tilt appears to have become more noticeable or worse recently. Could be because my kids convinced me to play Minecraft, and that has a lot of horizontal lines in it.

I found the tool on link from a Google cache of the Oculus Support page. For me it actually made the tilt much worse. I have re-run the tool several times each time the tilt changes in amount, so I stopped after a run where is was the least. I eventually just accepted that this is a tilt of five degrees I estimate. I also notice in Minecraft it gets worse over the space of forty minutes or so. Stopping for five minutes (putting children to bed) it appears to lessen.

I have to restart the Oculus service to use the Rift again post the tool completing. Also I see that the actual orientation of the device makes no difference, I've run the tool with the Rift flat, right way up, tilted one way and the other, makes no difference. If I could even just get it tilted to the right for a bit, just for a change!

It doesn't ruin the experience, but it is very annoying in Minecraft and just winds me up. Dirt Rally I notice it far less. I also note that keeping the headset on I adjust to the tilt, when I take it off and see the room around me in a different orientation and then put the headset back on it becomes a lot more noticeable.

I saw in Birmingham yesterday you could test out a Rift, and was tempted just to see what their tilt is like, but there was a queue, and it would only depress me either way.

loucmachine
Explorer
Same here  @markypea
But I think that the tilt is worst in winter here and in summer it dissapear.. Thats what it did for me this year haha.
I also tried to recalibrate many times with no success... no matter the orientation while calibrating.

Have you tried the run_tilt_fix.cmd and revert_tilt_fix.cmd in the IMUCalibration folder ? I am not sure what they are supposed to do but I am too much of a pussy to try them xD 

I hope Oculus will release a way to put an offset manually on axis so we can fine tune ourselves.. Maybe in the oculus debug tool ? that would really be helpful.

markypea
Explorer
@loucmachine I agree it must be the colder room temperatures, roll on Summer!!!! Although I have no idea as to why the Calibration software doesn't consider the device to be level when it is running and therefore reorientate itself to the "new" level, seems insane. The PSVR resets everything when you reset the view, not just yaw, but roll and pitch. You just look straight forwards, reset and bam, that is now straight forwards, easy.

The run tilt fix just calls the IMU Calibration exe with no parameters, the revert calls it with a -r added on, that's all. I have never reverted, as ever time I ran it I ran it because it was tilted enough to warrant me running it. If I was unhappy with the results I just unplugged it for an hour and then ran it again.

loucmachine
Explorer
@markypea Oh I see.. Just opened the .cmd with notepad++ and saw that.. But I am still curious of what the ''-r'' does. I guess it stand for ''revert'' but revert what ? last working parameters ? Factory parameters ? I dont know ...What do you think ?

AGluk86
Honored Guest
Hi guys.

I'm another one who faced with this problem. Absolutely the same behaviour. Tried to perform IMUTempCalibration without "r" parameter. After the calibration was finished, tilt to the left side remained the same. I didn't notice even any changes.
Also interesting in "r" parameter. What does it do?
Maybe after the latest firmware update the tool should be updated also?

Wildt
Consultant
Argh - why did you guys make me notice this?! Now I can't unsee it :angry:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

AGluk86
Honored Guest
Hi everybody.

I've got IMUcalibration utility from the support. It is still the same version, that is presented here. The calibration also has not solve the problem for me.
But I've noticed the following: if wear headset upside down (yes, it's very uncomfortable and I had to remove facial interface, but it doesn't metter for testing purposes 🙂 then there was no any visible tilt in VR (at least I can't notice it). Horizon was leveled. But after returning headset to normal orientation, the problem has appeared again and even more noticable after comparing with leveled case.
Can someone else try it on his HMD?
Thank you!