cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Distortion on right lens when using air-link (and air link ONLY)

Devilham
Protege

since a recent update, when using air-link (does not happen in stand alone quest 2 usage, OR when using the link cable) I get a visible distortion on the far right of my right hand lens, as though the world has shrunk, or bent in a vertical line at my periphery.   Very distracting and is ruining immersion.   I did call in and they said it's a known issue but am trying to get info on WHEN this is going to be fixed?   Anyone else getting this???  it's pretty frustrating (I have reset to factory defaults on the headset, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the PC client too - no change)

81 REPLIES 81

I replied per your instructions but have not heard back yet?

unchosenone
Explorer

While a proper resolution is still not out, there are some steps that have been proven to work as a temporary solution:

• Stop oculus service using oculus debug tool
  • Uninstall Oculus PC app using the Control Panel.
  • Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    • C:\Program Files
  • Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    • finally download and install newest version of oculus pc app

Devilham
Protege

@unchosenone Those steps resolved my issue!!!!!   Thanks a ton man!!!! now to play the excellent Half Life 2 mod without a tether!!!!!

Devilham
Protege

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the issue returned.   bummer but at least I can try this again

unchosenone
Explorer

Watch out for AMD drivers, i think there was an update, and last experimenal one had some VR bugs listed in the update notes, so maybe check that.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

Well that was a waste of time. I uninstalled and deleted all the folders as suggested in the "accepted solution". No change. Not only that I lost game in progress info and items are missing from my home environment.

I'd restore them from backup if I knew what to restore.

I reported this issue back in v44 along with the screen resolution gone fuzzy. Upping the render resolution doesn't help very much. Everything was working fine until v44 rolled out on my systems.

The distortion happens in the headset, right "eye/screen" only. The distortion does not show up on snapshots. I suppose I could try to take a picture with my phone of the right eyepiece.

Running an AMD RX 590, I tried various versions of the drivers no luck. Resolution and distortion problems are in Air Link only. Using the Link cable everything looks as it did with version 43. That the problem started with v44 should give some clue where to look for the problem. What was changed in Air Link?

Ok, uninstalling and deleting the AppData folders isn't a good thing to do. My home environment was messed up. Many items missing - nothing in the inventory boxes, items were no longer where I placed them, some just showed as white wire frame boxes. I restored the whole Oculus folder tree and appdata folders from backup and everything in the Home Environment is as before the reinstall. Game data remains lost however.

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

The problem comes and goes. I updated my Radeon drivers to the May 2022 WHQL recommended version. Problem gone. A few restarts of the headset later the problem is back.

I connect Link via cable. There never is a problem when connected by wire. I switch to Air Link connection. Problem is gone. A few connections (Air) later and the problem returns.

Annon_Buster
Honored Guest

I fixed the issue by going into the oculus debug tool and setting the distortion curvature setting to low and asw settings to disabled or 45fps disabled

deadly1533
Honored Guest

so I've not played in a few months, and suddenly this right lens issue has popped up - sort of glad you guys have had it too, as I was worried it had been dropped and messed up the lens alignment or something. I've got a Radeon RX 580 Series - so does sound like it's a Radeon issue. Will try using the debug tool. - UPDATE - just tried checking my graphics drivers and wierdly the AMD Adrenaline software wouldn't even start. updated that with whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.11.1-win10-win11-nov22 - AND NOW LENS DISTORTION IS GONE! fingers crossed it stays that way!

NomadsAnIsland
Heroic Explorer

The problem seems to come and go at random. I also installed the Nov22 WHQL drivers and it seemed stable for some time. My headset and PC have just updated to v47 so if it remains stable I won't know if it is the drivers or v47 or both that fixed the problem.