cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Distortion on right lens when using air-link (and air link ONLY)

Devilham
Protege

since a recent update, when using air-link (does not happen in stand alone quest 2 usage, OR when using the link cable) I get a visible distortion on the far right of my right hand lens, as though the world has shrunk, or bent in a vertical line at my periphery.   Very distracting and is ruining immersion.   I did call in and they said it's a known issue but am trying to get info on WHEN this is going to be fixed?   Anyone else getting this???  it's pretty frustrating (I have reset to factory defaults on the headset, and have uninstalled and reinstalled the PC client too - no change)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unchosenone
Explorer

While a proper resolution is still not out, there are some steps that have been proven to work as a temporary solution:

• Stop oculus service using oculus debug tool
  • Uninstall Oculus PC app using the Control Panel.
  • Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
    • C:\Program Files
  • Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    • finally download and install newest version of oculus pc app

View solution in original post

81 REPLIES 81

threethan
Honored Guest

I've had this as well, tried everything and it's stilled f***ed. Seems somehow related to an oculus

driver update.

Win 11, amd graphics - oculus doesn't have great amd support sadly

Hey there @threethan! We know how much this can detract from the experience and we want to understand this issue as much as we can so we can help. Could you send a picture of what exactly this visual distortion on the right lens looks like? We'd also like to know if your GPU and Oculus drivers are up to date and if you see this distortion when not connected to Link.

Hope to hear from you soon!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

oooooooooookay, I posted the original post, but sure, ask the guy who commented and try and help him (no offence @threethan just kind of put off why  your being addressed here and not the person who originally posted it.   I will respond as if the meant me?

one - how can I get an in-headset screenshot that will show this distortion?

two - GPU is AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz

three - oculus drives are up to date - in my original post I mentioned this happened AFTER the most recent driver updates 

also too, the title of the post is IN AIRLINK ONLY, it does not happen in standalone use, OR when using the link cable - ONLY when using airlink

Fatty19
Explorer

I also recently started having this problem with Air Link. It kind of feels like looking through a fishbowl on the far right side of the lens, almost like the lens is bent. The image the far right is compressed laterally. At first I thought it was related to the refresh rate. There was only an issue with 72Hz and 80Hz. There was no issue when the Quest 2 set to 90Hz in the Oculus app. Now I've discovered that it actually seems to be tied to the distortion curvature. No matter which refresh rate is set, as long as "distortion curvature" in the Oculus debug tool is set to "high", the distortion is gone and Airlink looks normal. This is a lower quality setting, so not an ideal solution. I was just going to do some more experimenting, but now Airlink doesn't work at all. The Quest 2 won't connect to my pc. So first things first, time to try to get it working again...

-the Link cable works perfectly at any refresh rate and distortion curvature setting (in all the experimenting, resolution or encode bitrate setting made no difference to solving the distortion issue).

-running on i5*10600k with an AMD RX580 using driver version 21.10.2, as it's discussed elsewhere on the forums that newer Radeon drivers have issues.

-a week ago I wiped my C: drive and did a fresh install of Windows 10, so I'm assuming everything else is up to date.

@MetaQuestSupport - on the meta quest known issues page there is not a notification of a known issue with AMD graphics and the latest drivers for quest - suggestion is to roll back the drivers, but no guidance on HOW to do that - can you provide those steps please?

This is the thread I mentioned, discussing the AMD driver issues: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Support/Bad-Airlink-bitrate-for-AMD-Radeon-graphics/m-p/967141#M13974...

More details in his other post on the AMD forums: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-drivers-and-vr/m-p/526584#M156416 

I used DDU to uninstall the current drivers to prep for a clean install of older drivers that play nice with Air Link. Website and instructions: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

This is the driver version I've been using. Seems to solve the bitrate streaming issue, but had no effect on this new distortion issue on the right side of the screen we're having: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-10-2 

Using latest Radeon drivers (21.10.1) on 6600xt. I had no issues previously in-game. I did have the "wobbly" oculus dash issue, but once I opened a game or steamvr performance was great. 

I got a prompt in the oculus app that it needs to "update drivers." I do that, try air link, and get the distortion issue.

I've tried every frame rate option, and different settings in OculusDebugTool incl. distortion curvature with no luck. Performance is still great, but the distortion is hard to look at. It is on the right side of both lenses, not only the right one.

Haven't tried with wired link yet. Afaik, rolling back drivers only helps with oculus dash. 22.7.1 improved opengl performance a ton, so I'd rather not.

Can't post pictures for a few days, lol at support for responding to me instead of OP

I just stumbled on this thread so I'll see if I can help out at all. There's something you mentioned here that could use a bit of clarification. Is the distortion happening in the headset or on the screen? I know it sounds a bit weird but it would help to know exactly where you see this distortion. Your original post suggests its in-game but it's important to verify that it isn't the lens or screen itself.

"I Have Found That People Lie, Most Often Deceiving Themselves. Not So The Dead. The Dead Are So Very, Very Loud. And Yet, Lying Is Not In Their Nature. It Is So... Humbling, To Listen To The Dead Speak."