cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v42 now random crashes / VR ripping

FlightSimVR
Honored Guest

I've not used my PC or VR few a couple of weeks. This morning I started the PC up and let it update everything: Windows Update, Nvida Drivers, Stream, MS Flight Sim (which for once didn't take forever!).

I started Steam, MS Flight Sim and in my Quest 2 connected to the Link... I noticed the new AirLink option so a bit of googling and understood my Oculus app and firmware is now v42.

Got into Flight Sim and then randomly got screen ripping across half of the VR screen.  Taking my headset off I could see the Flight Sim in running fine, it was the headset.  Cue reboots of PC and headset... back into Flight Sim and the same thing happened again.  Rebooted just the headset, reconnected via Link and Flight Sim was still flying where I had left it, so the problem with the screen ripping is on the headset, not the Flight Sim!

Cue 4th reboot of the headset and the screen rip happened before I went into Flight Sim.

This has only started since the update to v42 this morning.  I believe that downgrading is not a simple or supported option, so if there any options or ideas how to fix this please?

12 REPLIES 12

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @FlightSimVR! 

We've had some of our users report issues with air link and link with the v42 update, so we would suggest submitting a bug report. Once a bug report is sent, it'll let our engineers know what to work on so that you can get back to flying in no time!

We also suggest reaching out to Steam, the issue could possibly be on their end. They will be able to help if so!

If you have any other questions or need any more support, we're always here!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

FlightSimVR
Honored Guest

Bug reporting is not as easy as you may think.  When in the headset I can't copy and paste the post I've made here.  In the app on my phone the idea is to shake the phone to submit a bug... it doesn't work!  The final option is to 'contact support' at https://tickets.oculusvr.com and the link leads to "oops, You're not authorized to access this page".

Stream is not the problem as I can run the game with or without Stream and if I don't use the headset the game works perfectly.  Even when the headset crashes, the game keeps going without any issues.

Also, I note that "You may not get a direct reply to your bug report" so that is pretty much zero help to me.  When I spent so much money on this Link cable I expect it to work and it did work until you updated the software and broke it.  Simply not good enough.

Any suggestions to actually investigate or fix the problem please?

Hello again, @FlightSimVR! We appreciate the fast reply.

Since we just rolled out the v42 update, bug reports will be a big help to our engineers so that they know what to improve on and make your gaming experience better!

Seems you found a different link, no worries, we will gladly provide you with the correct one! Just click here and you should be all set to either chat or email with one of our support agents! We don't want to send you completely empty handed so we would like to ask for your logs, that way our agents can take a further look into everything that may be going on. 

Here are the steps on how to:
1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).
2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe
* The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed the Oculus PC app to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.
3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.
4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.
5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.
6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.
7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

If you need any further assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

no bug reports required. this is happening to each and every single vr user. stop asking for details and fix the **bleep** problem

How do you expect engineers to fix the problem without submitting bug reports? Please be more considerate when you decide to post on this board again. 

55 BURGERS 55 FRIES 55 TACOS 55 PIES 55 COKES 100 TATER TOTS 100 PIZZAS 100 TENDERS 100 MEATBALLS 100 COFFEES 55 WINGS 55 SHAKES 55 PANCAKES 55 PASTAS 55 PEPPERS AND 155 TATERS

hmm maybe because it's a problem present on every quest 2 ever produced. engineers can use any one of their in-house headsets to see the problem

Logs created and ticket number:  5167742 raised via the online chat (which has been very helpful but no solution so far)

We have disabled my onboard Intel Integrated GPU (so just using the Nvida GPU) but the problem remained.

Next we tried to repair the oculus app but the oculus service did not restart and so the repair started again.  Rather than let it download another 5gb of data, we've moved to the uninstall/reinstall the oculus app steps, which are:

• Do a manual uninstall and reinstall the app by the steps, if you have not done this way yet:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.

2. Backup any necessary content. * You can find steps on how to do this https://support.oculus.com/190738628001661/#faq_190738628001661

3. Reboot into Safe Mode.

4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.

5. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder: * C:\Program Files

6. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache

7. Restart your computer in normal mode.

8. Reconnect your computer to the internet.

9. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website https://store.facebook.com/quest/setup/

I'm also going to do this using the default installation path on the C drive, not the D drive where it currently is.  One less potential problem.

Got the same answer from support.. Even though I stated that I have wiped Windows twice. 
Not sure how a firmware error thats conflicting with pc hardware has to do with their software hehe... 
Just give us the option to downgrade the firmware!

FlightSimVR
Honored Guest

I'm inclined to agree, it does seem strange but I gave it a go and...  the link (via cable appeared to fail and the app shows... 

FlightSimVR_0-1658783092204.png

So not successful then.  Here goes the reboot.