cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjdagdelen1
Honored Guest

There is an overwhelming number of kids in multiplayer VR games screaming the most vile things I have ever heard and engaging in explicit harassment. I suspect it's due to a mix of immaturity crossed with anonymity and a sense of disembodiment while inhabiting a virtual avatar. Regardless, this needs to be addressed. Putting kids all in their own lobbies is not a great solution because it traps good kids with the bad/toxic ones. Instead, I suggest you add a microphone buffer/snapshot as an opt-in parental control feature. Open up an API for developers that allows them to trigger an event where the last ~30s/1 min of microphone input gets saved to the device and sent to the parent's phone/email if the player is flagged in-game by others. Please give parents the opportunity to turn these into teaching moments rather than letting VR multiplayer games become synonymous with this toxicity. Parents don't know what their kids are doing/saying while in VR and they can't address what they don't know about.

20 Comments
cjlara1016
Honored Guest
The fact that parents have to enable stuff like parental controls is wild to me. I see people legitimately say "i'm 10 i can say whatever i want and can make my own decisions." So many parents don't even know that parental controls exist for consoles like the switch so i'm afraid its going to be the same way
anthonyxboxreal
Honored Guest
We need this, it gets really annoying listening to those type of kids and if we do get an API for it developers should use it
shinkyo20
Honored Guest
For the sake of Horizons and every other online multiplayer VR experience, this is very much needed.
iamsupreme
Honored Guest
Yes please. This situation continues to become worse and worse to the point that I avoid multiplayer entirely on my Quest 2, other than private parties with just my friends.
Hockshank
Honored Guest
With the Meta focus on a multiplayer VR spaces as the future, this is one of the most import issues that need to be addressed. For it all to work we need people to want to inhabit those spaces. If the space is filled with vile racist, sexist and violent behavior and chat the masses will not come.
coodude29
Explorer
Love the idea! only thing: most parents actually buy the headsets for their selves, that or buy it for the kids and don't monitor the account as much.
VredalertV
Honored Guest
BIG TIME! I quit playing Echo Arena because the toxicity is almost as bad as Call Of Duty... some people are just vile in VR and they need to be flagged; also it is just immature behavior as well. Like doing fart noises, belching, etc. which is VERY loud in your headset and purely disgusting. This must be solved!
radarjammer90
Honored Guest
Child interactions are only becoming increasingly toxic. I'm not smart enough to know what can be done but if nothing is done then things can only escalate
mevelyn
Honored Guest
It’s completely out of control. I won’t let the kids play multiplayer with chat on. It ruins the experience, for sure.
Charmeds
Protege
Bad or not such an intervention is even worse. You just want people to be able to spy. This is a gross violation of freedom. If you are a developer, you can always just add an option to submit a signal and block a certain profile without spying on people. The parents didn't know? Yes, yes. These children, mainly from the family, learn these things.