cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ph0t0nv1s10n
Protege
The curation process is not fair to everyone, from some perspectives it is subjective and is detrimental to a broader developer engagement with your platform. If you continue to restrict the commercial options available to developers you will only do yourselves damage in the longer term when competition arrives. I understand the reasons for wanting to have a more strongly curated set of apps at launch but I would argue that the headset has shown itself to be succesful and that it would be time to open things up to a broader group of developers.
2 Comments
AF4L
Protege
Have you looked into Sidequest?
ph0t0nv1s10n
Protege
SideQuest is excellent and the developer behind it is great too. However, I don't think it represents a solution to this issue. SideQuest is a side channel that requires developer mode. Any "ordinary" user making use of this will need to perform extra steps to declare themselves a "developer", an obstacle to adoption. Not hard to do in some cases I guess. To be clear I am talking about allowing open access to the platform to sell whatever we want provided that it is legal. Think "Google Play" and you have the basic idea. Oculus could have a cut of the proceeds and it could be kept apart from the main store. SideQuest is not a solution, it is a workaround, one which could be disabled by Oculus by disabling the developer mode on any headset they see fit. (As the "switch" to enable developer mode resides on Oculus servers you can't unlock developer mode if they don't want you to, say for example, you did not agree to some T&C's) Also payments via Sidequest are quirky, having to use external providers like twitch will put more people off. Developer interest in a platform is linked to how easy it is to publish on that platform and how easy it is to generate revenue. Having to submit an pitch and upfront business plan may not suit all developers. Oculus themselves even admitted that Beat Saber would have been unlikely to have passed a pitch if it had not already been a runaway success. This to me suggests that the curation system is flawed. I can see where an end user may not have many issues with all of the above but many developers do. To be honest, I have not seen a large influx of titles into the store since launch (not as big as I would have hoped for) , I wonder if curation is hurting the amount of products available. I would argue that there are a (reasonably small yet still significant) number of mediocre titles in the Quest store that curation has not helped to improve/exclude. At this stage, I think curation without providing another channel us problematic. Also, if you support this idea https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918559-oculus-go/suggestions/41321566-allow-users-to-install-pla... Then please support this, we want more or less the same thing...