cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyborgVR
Explorer
I originally thought I was missing something, but upon contacting Support, was told that it's true: There is currently no way to reposition the onscreen keyboard, while in VR. Reference: https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/1078847 This is an inexplicable omission - especially since the keyboard often (usually?) overlays content which should be visible. See screenshots, enclosed below: In many (most?) cases, the in-VR keyboard obscures either the data being entered (e.g. WiFi password), or at least a portion of the resulting content (e.g. search results). The desired enhancements are two-fold: First, the default keyboard location should be where the main interface toolbar is located - below all panels of content. And, since the toolbar and the keyboard cannot be shown at the same time (bringing up the toolbar will hide the keyboard, and vice-versa), this seems it would be an idea location - and not conflict with anything else. In addition, however, the keyboard should also be allowed to be repositioned by the user - perhaps by pointing and using the grip button to move it to a new location, which would be remembered between sessions. This seems an obvious, and long-overdue, usability enhancement - which I hope can be implemented ASAP, so I can actually use the keyboard for the actions required within VR.
5 Comments
DanBrunch
Honored Guest
I'll add to this that the proposed position would be way more ergonomic than the current position. After I've typed half a sentence in the Oculus Browser I'm just done with awkwardly holding my arms out to type.
CyborgVR
Explorer
Thx, Daniel. I'm frustrated that not only is there no support for moving the keyboard, but that the current location is often so incredibly bad - as it obscures content in a majority of cases. No word back from the development team, and my bug was closed as "try a full restore, and see if that helps" - which it did not.
nastyjman
Protege
This! So much this! I've started reading books through Kindle cloud reader. Since you can't highlight texts effectively in it, the better way to keep notes is to have a Google Docs open on another window. Problem is the keyboard obscuring the text prompt, so I can't see what I'm typing or dictating. FIrefox Reality allows you to move the keyboard within a boundary, so Oculus should be able to fix this, hopefully soon.
CyborgVR
Explorer
Agreed, Jay - that’s a great use case. It seems that there are several valid precedents for allowing this capability, and compelling reasons why it is necessary. As such, it’s increasingly frustrating why the current implementation is so severely lacking. As more interactions become possible in VR, just as you’ve described, the lack of these basic usability features, has an outsized impact on user engagement. I hope FRL recognizes this, and prioritizes a fix in the near future.
buddhabuddy
Honored Guest
This is absolutely crazy. No matter how I scroll the browser, the keyboard will always cover the typeahead dropdown, making it impossible to select without always retyping. Its like they don't even have a UI/UX designer.